Close

Question Does anyone know this Full color 3d printer, I want to buy, any suggestion

Is anyone can tell me, how's this printer, I really want to buy this machine for my studio.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rinter-of-powd

I believe 3D printing will change the world, but for now, more people only buy a FDM, DLP, even SLA printer to use, it's a limitation.
    I don't think I'm the only one to care about the color.
    I like the 3D result just as same as the 2D Printer, full-color 3D printer is good.
    I saw there is a full color 3d printer in Kickstarter now, and the price is very cheap, I believe that one day we can buy the consumer price 3D full color in Walmart.

Staff Engineer
    Since this thing hasn't been produced yet, how could anybody know more about this than what's on the Kickstarter page? All I can say is that it starts out with an outright lie:
    3DPandoras: The first full color 3d printer of powder tech.

There have been full-color powder-bed printers for a decade or so, that work much better than they've got the Pandora to do, judging from the one picture of a colored part they show (which simply gradates from one color to another, rather than producing a photographic color field). I've got one myself: the Z-corp Spectrum 510. Printers like that are available from 3D Systems (which took over Z-corp a few years back). They are now making color printers that use plastic powder, rather than the gypsum-based powder that mine uses, so the results are more durable.

If you can't afford one, don't waste your money on a Kickstarter project that will likely fail. Wait to get one at WalMart, and in the meantime send your files to Shapeways for printing in "sandstone".

Andrew Werby
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-21-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: removed advertising, please use self promotion

Thank you Andrew, But after seriously think about it and talk about with my friend, we decide to buy one to try, because it has the best price that we are affordable.
    My friend had one Projet 660, it looks great but 90,000 USD, I don't think I will buy it one day, but 3DPandoras has the same technology and only under 3000 USD.
    Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, I will update to you after receiving the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Since this thing hasn't been produced yet, how could anybody know more about this than what's on the Kickstarter page? All I can say is that it starts out with an outright lie:
    3DPandoras: The first full color 3d printer of powder tech.

There have been full-color powder-bed printers for a decade or so, that work much better than they've got the Pandora to do, judging from the one picture of a colored part they show (which simply gradates from one color to another, rather than producing a photographic color field). I've got one myself: the Z-corp Spectrum 510. Printers like that are available from 3D Systems (which took over Z-corp a few years back). They are now making color printers that use plastic powder, rather than the gypsum-based powder that mine uses, so the results are more durable.

If you can't afford one, don't waste your money on a Kickstarter project that will likely fail. Wait to get one at WalMart, and in the meantime send your files to Shapeways for printing in "sandstone".

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by skyei911 View Post
    Thank you Andrew, But after seriously think about it and talk about with my friend, we decide to buy one to try, because it has the best price that we are affordable.
    My friend had one Projet 660, it looks great but 90,000 USD, I don't think I will buy it one day, but 3DPandoras has the same technology and only under 3000 USD.
    Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, I will update to you after receiving the machine.

The Pandora is too deceiving. It's a matter of time before 3d system will file a patent suit on them.
    In the vid it shows a full (3d printed ) barbie with hair that's just so deceiving to consumers making
    them think they can print full hair also haha. It does not show a full working printer at all.

Staff Engineer
    Backing a Kickstarter project isn't the same thing as purchasing a product. These people haven't got a product to sell at this point, and what they've got isn't too convincing. They may eventually come up with one, but since they've already made the decision to deceive people on their Kickstarter page, the chance that you'll actually get a printer that meets your expectations is slight. The best you're likely to end up with is a refund. $3000 USD is enough to buy quite a number of prints; if that's what you want; I don't think it's really enough to buy a functional full-color powder printer. If you really want a color printer but can't afford a new ProJet, used Z-corp machines come up on Ebay pretty frequently. Here's one, for example, going for a lot less than $90,000: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZCORP-Z406-3...item2595860fe0

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com