Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

123D Catch Now Available on Android

AutoDesk has today informed us that the 123D Catch app is now available on Android devices. This is exciting news, as it turns any Android device (with a camera) into a 3D scanner. The 3D models can then be uploaded, shared, edited, modified and even 3D printed. This should help open the door for the creation of a vast libary of 3D objects on the internet. I'm looking forward to the day when everyone uses 3D scanning technology like this in places of photographs Read more at
    http://3dprint.com/15947/autodesk-123d-catch-android/

I tried it this week end. Wow. I was really impressed. You can't get precise scans of complex stuff right away though. There clearly is a learning process where you see what works and what doesn't : what features will require more shoots to get right, ...

A really fun toy though.

12184255_10153734302528923_6825502237710958944_o.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, interesting.
    I tried it last year and wasn't terribly impressed. That fact that you have to walk round a thing rather than rotate it in front of the camera was the biggest issue.

Camera on tripod and thing on turntable is real easy.
    moving the camera round the object is a lot harder.

Having it on a device witha camera already would help :-)

Have to admit the whole suite of 123d software that autodesk has released seems to be going from srength to strength.

But I'm still holding out for an android tablet with intel realsense system :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-02-2015 at 06:28 AM.