Close

Local Motors to Print Several Car Types, And Maybe Boats and Planes Next

Earlier this week I was fortunate enough to get to have a 30 minute conversation with the CEO of Local Motors, Jay Rogers. After 3D printing a car within a 44 hour window he had a lot to say. In the interview, which you can find here: http://3dprint.com/15649/local-motor...oats-3d-print/ I asked several questions about their future plans, thoughts on the industry as a whole, and where he sees Local Motors going in 3-5 years. Some of the answers will surprise you indeed. Could we be seeing 3D printed boats, satellites, and planes come from the Arizona-based company any time soon? How many factories will they have, and where? All this is answered.

Local Motors CEO Jay Rogers, pictured below

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Now there's a guy on his way to being a billionaire !

Given that an entire car 'factory' can now be fitted into a small industrial unit. The sky really is the limit.

Be interesting to see one of these cars put through an NCAP car sefety test.

Staff Engineer
    For the Strati, I'm gonna assume there's not much consideration to crashworthiness (it's basically a really sexy golf cart, after all)

Future designs will likely have that kind of design time put into them. Though come to think of it, does the Rally Fighter have any kind of safety consideration beyond the five-point harness and basic roll cage?

Hiya, Brian! In your article "Local Motors to 3D Print a Second Strati Car This Week, Two Days Faster Than the First", you featured an article photographed by my wife at the IMTS show in Chicago. I was wondering if you could give her photo credits. Her name is Danielle Matich and her website is located at daniellematich.com. Thanks so much!

No Problem Michael. I was unaware of this. Will do right away.

Brian

Awesome! Thanks so much, Brian!