Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

NASA & Made In Space Launch 3D Printer on Saturday - The Ultimate Goal is Surprising

On Saturday morning, the 20th of September, NASA and Made In Space will be launching the first 3D printer into space. While this is a huge accomplishment itself, in the fact that they could create a Zero-gravity 3D printer. However, the ultimate goal of NASA is to eventually send up a larger, more sophisticated 3D printed to the Space Station; one that can print in metals, print electronics, and also recycle old prints and other plastic waste. Then, within 10 years, they hope to have 3D printers on Mars printing structures, radiation shield, and engine parts. Read more about our fascinating talk with NASA's Niki Werkheiser at: http://3dprint.com/15639/nasa-made-i...e-3d-printing/

I've always been amazed by how far NASA has been pushing the envelope of space exploration, but was the budget cut that bad? brown packing tape as sealant and 4 year old flip video cameras?
    I would've expected them from using GoPros by now lol.
    Did they share any pictures of the prints by any chances? I'm curious to see a zero G print haha.

Staff Engineer
    I doubt it got to print anything impressive while testing on the Vomit Comet, which only gets 0G for short increments of time (with much longer increments of 1.8G in between those times).

From what I've heard, zero-g testing is something that usually has a time limit on how long it stays fun, and each flight keeps going significantly past that limit.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Made in Space had a website where you could submit suggestions on what they should print. Not practical ideas, just fun stuff for a proof-of-concept.