Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Dremel 3D Idea Builder Printer Launches

Big news guys! The power tool giant Dremel has just stepped foot into the 3D printing space, announcing their new 3D printer, the Dremel 3D Idea Builder. The printer which is part of an entire ecosystem around 3d printing will go on pre-sale tomorrow in the US and Canada at a price of $999. It can be reserved on Amazon.com and HomeDepot.com. More details about this news can be found here:
    http://3dprint.com/15578/dremel-3d-idea-builder-printer

Below are some of the general specifications of Dremel's new 3D printer:

• Build Envelope: 9” x 5.9” x 5.5”
    • Printer Weight: 19 pounds 8 oz
    • Printer Size: 15.7 inches(400 mm) x 19.1 inches(485 mm) x 13.2 inches(335 mm)
    • Extruder temperature: Up to 230°C /397°F
    • Layer Thickness: 0.004 inches 100 microns

Check out the image of the Dremel 3D Idea Builder below. Will you be considering purchasing one? What are your thoughts on this new machine?

The UL certification is a biggie
    Buy it at Home Depot ... also a biggie
    Support from Autodesk ...
    this one will go far

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    This is actually the Flashforge Dreamer. It's just been rebranded.
    Eddie

Staff Engineer
    Well, a re-branded Flashforge isn't so bad. Currently, the few Home Depots that carry 3D printers only have Makerbot, so getting more selection will be pretty welcome.
    Competition breeds innovation (and lower prices) so I'm all for it.

On the home depot website...it says it only supports PLA. I assume you can also use ABS?

Staff Engineer
    ABS and many other materials require a heated print bed. This doesn't have that.

From what I understand, only PLA, Nylon and one or two kinds of PET are realistically printable without a print bed. Nylon has quite a stink while printing, and PET varieties are generally more expensive than most people want to mess with. Therefore to keep costs down, a lot of printer makers are leaving out the heated bed and putting "PLA Only" on the printer.

"The slicing engine is fast and offers high, medium, and low-resolution settings that translate to 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.3mm layer heights and pre-assigned infill levels."

No Abs and no infill settings and other advanced settings, not for me..

PrinterBob

We saw a bunch of these printing at the New York World Maker Faire this weekend. They all seemed to be working quite well. Just a FYI, the build platform is covered in BuildTak, a plastic that is toted as replacing the need for a heated bed? Admittedly, we only were printing in PLA all weekend. The guys from BuildTak came over and put it on two of our printers ( our Printrbot and our Ultimaker 2) and we printed with it all weekend. Out in the open, windy and dusty and on Sunday the humidity was like 90% in the morning. We had zero print failures all weekend (except for that one time when I stepped on one of the power strips and turned off the CUBE 3, oops!)

I have to say, these "canned" printers (Dremel, CUBE 3 and CUBE Pro, et al) are not for everyone due to the lack of flexibility in altering settings and using various filaments! But for something like a Library, Elementary School or someone in a small business that does not have the time or desire to be a tweaker, they may just fit the bill!

I have printed on Buildtak extensively and I have to say it does work extremely well. The problem I see is that it's largely only good if you're printing with rafts. You align your print head a little closer than normal so the first layer gets pushed into the pours on the Buildtak. At least that was my experience. You could print without a heated bed this way, I printed with ABS without a heated bed and had practically no warping. But again, this was printing with a raft.

Anyone pick one of these up and test it out?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast