Close

Stratasys To Acquire GrabCAD

Big news just hitting the wires. Stratasys has announced that they have agreed to acquire the CAD platform and marketplace, GrabCAD. The deal is said to be worth $100 million, all cash. With the acquisition Stratasys will instantly become one of the leaders within the CAD design space. GrabCAD has over 520,000 3D models which are free to download, and offers a variety of collaborative features to their members. More details on this acquisition can be found here: http://3dprint.com/15361/stratasys-grabcad/

It's interesting that Stratasys now will own both GrabCAD and Thingiverse, two of the largest 3D model platforms out there. Opinions?

Senior Engineer
    "GrabBAD" Is that a Freudian slip?

Lol, fixed, sorry

Senior Engineer
    You should have left it, I think it reflects my personal opinion quite well.

Engineer
    Doubt it's going to be a big hit for the typical people out there. There's just too much proprietary file type that will just drive people nuts. Not to mention lot of files are not ready to print when you download them. It's more like a hobby to collect the files. That being said, I am more worried about policy change...