Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

3D Printed Mini 4WD

In Japan Mini 4WD racing is quite popular. It's similar to slot car racing in the US, but without the slotted tracks and remote controls. Cars are known for flying off the track, and hitting the walls, thus it is very important to design cars that can handle all sorts of situations. This is why 3D printing has suddenly become such a great tool. Last month there was a big Mini 4WD race where i.materialise awarded 3D printed trophies to the winners. Contestant were to modify their cars using 3D printing and/or laser cutters. Some of the cars turned out quite nicely, and even Stratasys was on hand to participate. Read and see more at http://3dprint.com/15158/3d-printed-mini-4wd/

I'm glad someone else is finally doing this too I started 3d printing mini4wd parts back in 2013 as a means of familiarizing myself more with the 3d printing industry. We had a nice Eden Objet 260V at work which has a layer resolution of 16 microns.

I designed and printed a body and some tires+rims on that machine

Then i had a chance to play with a Makerbot Replicator 2 for a while

(odd, these pics broke?) i'll reupload them later.

Maybe it's time a start designing another body...
    Last edited by hobbes; 07-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    never heard of this.
    And if you haven't either - check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSGorw45Qs

It's basically hotheels for adults :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-06-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+
    They were popular in the late 80s-early 90s in America. I have maybe 5-6 of mine.......but when I started getting into cars, I took everything apart in hopes to modify them, and they're ruined as far as I can remember. I never really thought about 3d printing anything to get them going again...

cool, you followed the anime?