Close

Desktop printers good enough to print coins/tokens?

I have a hard time picturing the amount of detail that a certain resolution can print. I have a robo3d printer 'on the way' and have already started designing some 3d models.

I want to print some coins/tokens to give away at an event that I'm organizing but am not sure how 'detailed' to make the files. Can printers like the robo3d r1 print replicas of silver dollar coins (for example)? or is their detail too fine? I saw a video on youtube (barnacles nerdgasm video) where he made some tokens but they were pretty simple. That type of token is sort of my 'last resort' but I'd love to make a more detailed token.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

-Dave

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    It all depends on the resolution, up to 150 microns is fine for most things but it depends how detailed you want that token, Meabe if you post some Photos of how much detail the actual coins have we can tell you yes or no (yes i have never seen a silver dólar, im a poor guy )

This isn't a model but an example of the fine detail on a silver liberty us coin. Silver2011DolFb.jpg

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    im not an expert, but that amount of fine detail can be tricky, your printer specs said it can reach 100 microns, but i have the feeling you can reach it but it might get "blur" on some finers details

Staff Engineer
    A B9 Creator could do it. It's a DLP printer that gets much better detail than the FFF printers most people here are familiar with. Jewelers like it because the resin parts it produces can be burned out and used for "lost wax" casting. So you could cast your medallions in silver or gold if you wanted to.

Andrew Werby
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-10-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: removed advertising.

Thanks for the info guys.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I have seen SLA printers down to $3600-4000 on Ebay now, it's the resin you need to look at as that's what you will be printing in, personally I would start sourcing resin suppliers first because for that detail yeah, you really need an SLA machine, or a resin based system anyway. From what I've seen resin isn't all that cheap but the results speak for themselves.

100 microns is pretty good for the level of detail an FFF printer can get, but that's in the Z axis only. X/Y is limited by the width of the extrusion, which is typically larger than the width of the nozzle. The best you can reasonably expect is somewhere north of 300 microns. SLA printers will typically give you much finer detail.