Close

Noob here, just getting in to 3D printing. Software modeling recommendations?

Looking at Fusion 3D, any input? Don't want to spend much money. What seems to be the "Chevrolet" of 3D software?

Staff Engineer
    Fusion 360 has a free hobbyist version. It's only slightly limited, especially for new modelers and requires that you renew annually, but free is a good price. Tons of tutorials on the interweb to help you learn. I'm fond of Kevin Kennedy's Learn Fusion 360 in 30 days 2023 version, but he has much more than that to offer. Autodesk also has free tutorials but I like Kennedy's style and it seems easier for me to learn from his stuff. Learning other software can be helpful if you are able to handle the load on your brain. I'm a tiny bit conversant in OpenSCAD (text based, free, model generating code creation) and also a tiny bit in Meshmixer. If you want to limit yourself (I don't recommend it), learn a bit of Tinkercad, but it really is a step backwards from Fusion 360. I still use it for quick and sloppy models, especially if I want an image to explain something, but for serious work, it's definitely Fusion 360. Chevrolet? Not a big fan. Subaru maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    Fusion 360 has a free hobbyist version. It's only slightly limited, especially for new modelers and requires that you renew annually, but free is a good price. Tons of tutorials on the interweb to help you learn. I'm fond of Kevin Kennedy's Learn Fusion 360 in 30 days 2023 version, but he has much more than that to offer. Autodesk also has free tutorials but I like Kennedy's style and it seems easier for me to learn from his stuff. Learning other software can be helpful if you are able to handle the load on your brain. I'm a tiny bit conversant in OpenSCAD (text based, free, model generating code creation) and also a tiny bit in Meshmixer. If you want to limit yourself (I don't recommend it), learn a bit of Tinkercad, but it really is a step backwards from Fusion 360. I still use it for quick and sloppy models, especially if I want an image to explain something, but for serious work, it's definitely Fusion 360. Chevrolet? Not a big fan. Subaru maybe.

Hey @fred_dot_u ... thank you! That really helps me out.

Technologist
    If you are doing hard surface modeling then Fusion 360 is the way to go. If you plan to do some organic modeling, I would also recommend looking at some 3d art modeling software.

You are not limited to learning just one piece of software though it can be challenging learning these packages. CAD and 3d art software work differently but they both have their strengths (and weaknesses).

Quote Originally Posted by OG56 View Post
    If you are doing hard surface modeling then Fusion 360 is the way to go. If you plan to do some organic modeling, I would also recommend looking at some 3d art modeling software.

You are not limited to learning just one piece of software though it can be challenging learning these packages. CAD and 3d art software work differently but they both have their strengths (and weaknesses).
    Ok cool, thanks for the info. I've done my research and have landed on Fusion 360. Autodesk is obviously a solid company with a long line of great products. Already learning the software and creating models.

Technologist
    That is awesome. Welcome to the addiction. Its a fun ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images