Close

Creality Sonic Pad Ender 3 S1 Pro troubleshooting

Hi,

New here and relatively new to 3D printing.

I'm running into all sorts of trouble and would like to see if some could assist me in resolving my issue so I can finally have a good experience with 3D printing.

I initially had the S1 Pro by itself, did a bunch of successful prints then a bunch of unsuccessful ones. I'd suddenly have problems with adhesion using a PETG filament even though bed and nozzle temps were not only within manufacturer specs but were chosen based on a temp tower I had made (I make one every time I change filament cause you never know).

I started being unsatisfied with the quality I was getting and the time it took to print so I decided to get the Creality Sonic Pad for the multitude of other functions it offers but mostly for the resonance analysis.

I was initially doing my tramming using this technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmhBYOEb-roSo and after running through the steps of setting up the pad, doing the z probe setup, the manual leveling using a printer sheet, the mesh on the auto-leveling looked like a curled Doritos and there was obviously something that needed to be done.

I sought solutions and came across the SCREWS_TILT_CALCULATE function and used that to dial the wheels properly and it yielded very respectable results... on the mesh side.

While attempting a print, I monitored the first few minutes which didn't put me at ease and then came back to a balled up mess on the nozzle accompanied by the first few layers of the print firmly on the bed covered with filament "shavings". The brand was Overture for the PETG filament if anyone is curious.

Now my questions are very broad:
    - What do I do?
    - Where do I start with the leveling
    - Do I rely on the mesh or my eye when it comes to the leveling as in: Is relying on the nozzle distance vs the base plate of the level of scratchiness on a price of printer paper a better indicator than the mesh?

There are a range of other issues notably with Cura settings not displaying on the Sonic Pad when it comes time to print.TLDR: I need help with my setup to obtain quality prints.

Thank in advance,
    Zero
    Last edited by CleymenZero; 05-18-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: formating

Photos of current mesh. Please note that print quality is absolutely horrendous.

https://imgur.com/a/Ou74e4t

Greetings,
    I could only offer a great series of tutorials by Ricky Impey on YouTube. Sonic Basics has 7 videos and the Intermediate has 8 that are well done and will get you up and off to a good start.

Do not over look your bed leveling and the Z-Offset as they will cause issues. E-steps for Marlin firmware or rotation_distance in Klipper regarding the extruder is a must to have correct. Ricky Impey does a great job helping with all of these points.
    Regards
    Doc'