Close

Running Creality printer from PC vs Sonic Tablet

Hi allI am stepping 'up' from a Lulzbot Mini purchased well over six years ago to a Creality Ender-3 S1 Plus - ironically at about a third of the price of the Lulzbot for a seemingly more capable machine! I'm still waiting for it to arrive here in Qatar, so was reading up on it, and catching up with other peripheral 3D printing stuff and noticed the Creality Sonic tablet that you can get to drive the printer. There are apparently a number of advantages like faster speed etc, primarily due to the fact that it essentially offloads the printer mainboard by using a more advanced external one.

So the (potentially stupid) question I have is if I have a laptop that I can use to run the printer, why can I not connect that, put all the necessary software on it, and then drive the printer direct from the laptop? It is what I have been doing with the Lulzbot for years, rightly or wrongly, and I have never had issues with it. Surely the laptop is more than capable of the fast speeds, storage etc. Am I missing anything? I know Klipper can put in bed levelling, allow you to compensate for bed vibration and a load of other tricks, but why can a PC not do that?

As an aside, I was very surprised not to find a dedicated Creality or Ender sub-forum on here, I looked for it but it doesn't appear to be there - let me know if I was looking in the wrong area. I tried to join Creality's own forum, but despite trying to register for it three times with different e-mails it never ever sends the links to join, so eventually gave up on it, so hopefully you guys can help me!

Cheers

Les
    Last edited by lesthegringo; 04-16-2023 at 03:14 AM.