Close

Problem with 3D project

FIRST OFF, no - I'm NOT a bot. My username is random characters because I got sick of entering names only to be told "USERNAME IS ALREADY IN USE"

For nearly a year I've been working with a guy to scan and 3D print an enlarged non-jointed version of an action figure (figure is 5" and I wanted to get the design enlarged to about 15"), and so far there has been absolutely no success. He has even upgraded his imaging device and software, yet the problem of creating a pattern persists.

The guy I'm working with on this project has been doing 3D printing for years, so he's definitely not a newbie.

Can anyone here help troubleshoot what might be causing the problem and/or possible solutions?

1st ed bandai rena scan problem.jpg

Staff Engineer
    Without a clear analysis of the failure mode, one can only make a guess. The photos of the character exhibit specular reflections. The bright dots on the surface can confuse many scanners. One possible solution is to use a powder spray to encompass the entire model in a matte finish white which will remove this problem. There are (expensive) sprays specifically made for this, but there are also ordinary chalk sprays that work in a similar manner at a lower cost. In these products, water is used to remove the spray after the scan is complete.

Staff Engineer
    TGFT, (may I call you TGFT?), without a clear analysis of the failure mode, one can only make a guess. The photos of the character exhibit specular reflections. The bright dots on the surface can confuse many scanners. One possible solution is to use a powder spray to encompass the entire model in a matte finish white which will remove this problem. There are (expensive) sprays specifically made for this, but there are also ordinary chalk sprays that work in a similar manner at a lower cost. In these products, water is used to remove the spray after the scan is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    Without a clear analysis of the failure mode, one can only make a guess. The photos of the character exhibit specular reflections. The bright dots on the surface can confuse many scanners. One possible solution is to use a powder spray to encompass the entire model in a matte finish white which will remove this problem. There are (expensive) sprays specifically made for this, but there are also ordinary chalk sprays that work in a similar manner at a lower cost. In these products, water is used to remove the spray after the scan is complete.

What color is that spray?

Staff Engineer
    Montana chalk spray (and others) are on Amazon with various colors from which to choose. White is the most common selection, for best reflectivity. The ad copy for this product states that it washes off non-porous surfaces, which would be the case with the model you've provided.