Close

New Guy With Questions, motorcycle related

Hello from daytona beach florida,

My name is ugly and I have been reading about 3d printing and it excites me enough to get on this dang thing and learn something more about it. I have a few questions for everyone if they can help me id be real appreciative.

First Im an under educated man who builds motorcycles and well id like to know is there one of these dar 3d printers that can print out fairings and hard bag saddle bags that go on bagger types of motorcycles and if so can you tell me which ones are good for doing so.

Im also a big fan of housing 3dprint and cant wait for one of them comtraptions to be invented that works .JUMP (3).jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there are printers that print big enough to produce bike panniers - but they're commercial machines and not cheap.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that you'll need to design or get designed the file used to print the part.

Printing stuff is the fun, easy bit. Designing the actual part is the long and harder part of the process.

It's fun if you're that way inclined. Just bear in mind that you can't just point the printer at something and say: 'make me that in green'.
    Not yet anyway - give it a few years.

What sort of maximum dimensions are you thinking about ?

well a bag on a bike is appx. 16inches long by 7 inches wide by 16 deep maybe

Hey,

me too i'm building motorbikes, see zapmotorbikes.com

I used my 3d printer to print a variety of parts on my bike, but all internal components, because the finish is just not good enough to have parts that can be seen on the outside of the bike.

Unless you pay a few 100'000 usd, you won't be satisfied with the finish.

There are new printers that are coming now, DLP , the finish is much better, but the size of the parts is not very big, surely cannot print saddle bags. Still need to wait a few years to see what you want at an affordable price.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well finish isn't really an issue. It can be sanded and smoothed and painted etc.
    Same as any other part.

But 400mm square by 200 high.
    That's doable. There are a few around. You're probably looking to start at around $3000 and work your way up.