Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    For PLA printing, the bed can be from 40°C to 60°C. The lower end isn't too hot, but what can happen is as the bed cools the cat will find it pleasing. Of course, you could build a sheet cover from aluminum foil. Cats hate that stuff. I know what you mean about doing it yourself, but it also has to take into account the level of frustration you are willing to tolerate. It can get pretty high with 3D printing, but if you put a 0.2 mm nozzle in your printer, you'll learn quite a bit.

Question for the expertWhat kind of scanner can scan this idler getting all sides of it with nothing left out ?Thanks so muchjeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just wondering

Fred,Can these be made too if one knows what they are doing?ThanksJeff
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (24.2 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.0 KB, 3 views)

Staff Engineer
    With dimensions, I can create an STL from an OpenSCAD file, but if it's as small as the last one, it's another challenging print, I'm sure.

Another Can this be done question

Hi again,i came across a plastic pulley with fine ridges instead of rubber for it's circumference, is it possible that a 3d printer can do this?Thank You Jeff

Staff Engineer
    I’m away from the computer and cannot view the attachments, but the resolution of a filament printer is going to be based on nozzle size, as small as 0.2 or 0.25 mm, while a resin printer can easily be half that. Even without seeing the images, I’d say yes to your question.

If that is so, I'd be astounded, since the ridges are less than the thickness of a fingernailGetting ready finally to unbox, bought a special 24x24 tableGoing to immerse myself fully and again thank you

Staff Engineer
    Just for the experience, tell me the diameter of the gear in the photo and the number of ridges and if possible the depth of the grooves between the ridges. The grooves do not appear to be particularly deep, which improves the chances that one can get the necessary strength from the closely spaced "teeth." It's not really a gear; more like a knurled surface for friction purposes.

Good morning Fred,The ridges are impossible to measure as they must be in thousandthsHarkening back to your post #11How do I take your code in post #11 and use it for my printer (stl)?Does that code have the thickness of the axle it will insert onto is 1.9mmI'm so excited to get started, just don't know what to do with your codeThank you for your help and patienceJeff

Staff Engineer
    Yeah, I figured that they would be too small to measure, but not too small to calculate. If you can provide an accurate outside diameter and a tooth count, I can derive an approximation that is likely to be more precise than using the TLAR method.

To use the code I provided, you would have to install OpenSCAD for your operating system, then copy/paste the code into the editor. Press F5 to preview, F6 to render, F7 to export as STL.

The code shows an outside diameter of 2.0 millimeter and a hole diameter of 1.5 millimeters. Obviously, the outside diameter has to be larger, but you can see the comments (after //) in the code identifying each entry. If you are able to measure the part and change the 2.0 to the proper value to match. All the other dimensions can be adjusted in the same manner.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast