Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Newbie who needs guidance how to print cassette player gears and idlers

Hi everyone,I haven't posted here in a few years and quite actually never unboxed my 3d printerThese are my questions pleaseThe idler from a cassette player pictured has been glued back together.Since I already have the scanner, what else do I need to buy including software to scan the glued back together idler so it becomes a file that can be made so I can print out a new part ?Also, if I buy the additional parts Can I change the original scan to increase the diameter of the idler if I needed to?Also, most importantly, would the stem and hole in that stem reaching downwards to the bottom be copied to or would I manually have to drill and bore through it?Many, many thanksJeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    The unidentified scanner (please identify) should contain appropriate software (for download?) that will create an appropriate mesh file from the scan process. I suggest that using such a device and software for creating an engineering-grade object isn't going to be easily accomplished, while creating the object using one of the many free 3D printer programs could be easier. Even Tinkercad will allow you to build a series of primitives (cylinders, in your case) to create the part. I'm fond of OpenSCAD which has similar text commands for making parametric objects. It's common to create an object, then discover that the outer disk, for example, is one point five millimeters too large. The hole in the axis is easily accomplished in any of the design programs; Tinkercad uses "hole" for a primitive of the appropriate size placed in the center. Tinkercad also has alignment features to ensure that the objects are properly centered when required. OpenSCAD code is similar in that the parameters for placement are included in the document to ensure precision. It's difficult to determine from the photo: is there a slot near the edge of the disk, or is that an artifact from the broken edge? Consider to post a couple more photos (more is better) from varying angles with a single color background, but not overexposed or underexposed.

Glued back together.Just need to know how to scan and print or enlarge diameter and if hole will be printed Printer name and picture in last post

Thanks,jeff
    Last edited by hdtvjeff; 02-19-2023 at 05:18 PM.

Staff Engineer
    The printer type/name/brand isn't all that helpful without an STL file to print. No scanner name yet? No software name that came with the scanner?
    The two photos of this recent post are helpful. How about a nice squared up side view?

If your scanner will support it, your scans will have to be from multiple angles, including one from the top and one from the bottom, to encompass the axle hole. Additionally, you'll want side views and oblique views.

Consider to measure the outside diameter of the main disk, the outside diameter of the axle cylinder and the inside diameter of the axle cylinder. Measure from the disk surface to the end of the axle on both sides, as well as the thickness of the disk.

Is there a groove along the perimeter of the main disk? If so, provide measurements of the width of the groove and the depth.

If you provide these numbers, I can build an OpenSCAD file in a matter of moments that will represent what I think you have. From there, you could print test pieces and provide measurement adjustments.

Your approach to do this with scanning will mean either a total failure or far more work than is necessary.

Thank you!I'm a newbieI have not opened the 3d printer since bought in 2019, guess that will be a start.When you are talking scanner I gather you mean a 2d scanner , not a flatbed that you scan docs withI will do my best with measurementsI ordered a caliper which arrives this weekAgain, thanksJeff

Staff Engineer
    Your first post states, "Since I already have the scanner," which, in the context of 3D printing means a 3D scanner, not a flatbed scanner for typical computer/fax/copying use. If you mean the flatbed or sheetfed scanner, it's not going to accomplish anything at all.

Even before you get your calipers (measure in millimeters!), do an eyeball measurement. That is, hold a ruler along the appropriate points and provide what you can. When you have more precise data, I'll swap it into the code.

My error r, I apologizeI meant 3d printer, need to know what scanner to buyHere are some pics I just tookFirst the idler tire is 12mmThe plastic idler wheel is 10mm diam thickness 1mm stem diameter 2mmSorry for any confusionJeff

Sorry, I had a long day,, Meant 3d printer NOT SCANNER

Also short end stem 2mm Longer stem 5mmThanks again

comes with JGCreat and Cura 3D software on an SD CardFull item description https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ERIC_ERROR#Ask

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast