Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Ahh thank you Fred

I will get back to you on that plus another pulley

So basically, the software I referenced that came with my 3d printer is not that necessary?

So If I cam somewhat master OPENSCAD I can do what you did?

Did you program that manually or is the code a result of parameters you put into OPENSCAD (WHich I have installed already)

I am so fascinated with this technology and am committed to once mastering it paying it forward

Jeff

Fred, I'll get back to you on that gear with thousandths,In the meantime, if you can code this with a picture this will be the first I print Here are the pics and dimensions Height 3mmOuter diameter 9mm Inside diameter (rim)is 6mm hole for spindle: well spindle axle on cassette deck is 1.4mm so I don't know what size you'd assign, same (1.4)? 1.5mm or 1.3mm so it pushes snug with no sway THANK YOU
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hdtvjeff; 02-26-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Fred,

Here is the diameter photo,

Using my fingernail as a clicker, I counted 45 clicks between two radii so 45x 3 ="s 135 "teeth" but the depth is imperceivable by the naked eye, , like you said probably for friction

Jeff
    Last edited by hdtvjeff; 02-26-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Staff Engineer
    If you have Cura with your printer, it will work, but find out if you can get a printer profile for PrusaSlicer to match your printer. What brand/model printer did you purchase? You have to have the slicer, regardless of the design software you use and Cura and PrusaSlicer are two common slicer programs.

I'm far from a master with OpenSCAD. If a model is too complex, I won't necessarily use OpenSCAD. You can certainly load the code I created into OpenSCAD and adjust the values to get a properly fitting model. You can also consider to learn Fusion 360 and accomplish the same thing. OpenSCAD isn't for people who want to avoid coding and deciphering other people's code, while Fusion 360 is growing in popularity as a good engineering modeling program. You can download and install the personal version free. There are a number of good YouTube tutorials on the 'net. If you consider going that route, look for Kevin Kennedy's tutorial bundles. He has a pretty clear teaching style that forces one to learn different ways of accomplishing the same tasks/objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by hdtvjeff View Post
    Ahh thank you Fred

I will get back to you on that plus another pulley

So basically, the software I referenced that came with my 3d printer is not that necessary?

So If I cam somewhat master OPENSCAD I can do what you did?

Did you program that manually or is the code a result of parameters you put into OPENSCAD (WHich I have installed already)

I am so fascinated with this technology and am committed to once mastering it paying it forward

Jeff

Fred,

I just hope I can get to being able to print post #32

I see now what you mean by complicated\

Building too the wheel with 145 teeth would also mean no dependence on runner tires too

I'll try my best andi f I get nowhere I'll outsource

Thank you

Jeff

Have to assemble first !

Instructions say leave blue tape on hot bed then there is Styrofoam sandwiched in between

I got my work cut out for me, definitely
    Last edited by hdtvjeff; 02-26-2023 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Fred, almost there

Printer all set up and calibratedTurned your wonderful code into a stl codeNow to figure out once I put it onto a SD card how to get 3d printer to printJust a little confused on one thing, the whole in the axle, if the axle object will slide onto is 1.9mm so should I change your value to 1.95mm or leave same?Really getting there, even installed cure ( 2018 Version) which came with unit, asked if I wanted to update, should I have?TYJeff$fn = 90; // smoother surface of cylindersaxle_diameter = 2;disk_thick = 1;disk_diameter = 10;short_stem_height = 2;long_stem_height = 5;stem_diameter = 2;addabit = 0.0625; // provide overlap to avoid z-fightingmodule assembly(){ cylinder(h = disk_thick, d = disk_diameter); // main disk translate([0, 0, -short_stem_height + addabit]) // move short stem below disk cylinder(h = short_stem_height + addabit, d = stem_diameter); // short stem translate([0, 0, disk_thick - addabit]) // move long stem above disk cylinder(h = long_stem_height + addabit, d = stem_diameter);}assembly();
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (84.5 KB, 1 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)

Fred Part 2

Fred,

Please revisit post # 32 that is my ultimate goal

If I can get the code and then tinker with the code to include a n axle, change its core size or with or thickness of this pulley all my work will be done as I could just edit the values

Willing to pay for this too

Sorry if I'm a pain in th a** too

Jeff

Staff Engineer
    I've been contending with some personal issues and have mostly lost track of the three project assistance projects in which I'm involved. This means that it's critical to drop back to a single project in single assistance mode. Are your posts 37 and 38 referencing two different parts?

For #37, it appears that the code is missing the axle hole. You'll want to use the code I posted that includes module solids() and module holes() and the difference() feature. That one should have the necessary lines to generate the axle hole.

You ask in 37 if you should update Cura and I think that's a good idea. Also, because the part is going to have overhangs (the entire disk), you will have to enable the support feature in Cura. Due to the layer structure of 3D printed objects, I would cut the model in half with a plane on the z-axis and print it in two pieces. This eliminates the need for support and also places the layer lines in a much stronger orientation.

Another question I think you've asked is about the axle diameter being 1.9 and the hole being 1.95 mm. This is a good idea but should also include creating a test part to determine how well that will work. Be sure to increase the diameter of the outer structure. I called it axle_diameter in the code, but it's obviously not the axle diameter of the metal part on which the pulley rotates.
    Code:
    $fn = 90; // smoother surface of cylinders
    axle_diameter = 2;
    axle_hole = 1.5;
    disk_thick = 1;
    disk_diameter = 10;
    short_stem_height = 2;
    long_stem_height = 5;
    stem_diameter = 2;
    groove_radius = disk_thick / 3;
    addabit = 0.0625; // provide overlap to avoid z-offset
    abitmore = 2; // ensure overlap for difference operations
    arbitrarily_large_block = 20;
    half_a_block = arbitrarily_large_block / 2

module solids(){
        cylinder(h = disk_thick, d = disk_diameter); // main disk
        translate([0, 0, -short_stem_height + addabit]) // move short stem below disk
        cylinder(h = short_stem_height + addabit, d = stem_diameter); // short stem
        translate([0, 0, disk_thick - addabit]) // move long stem above disk
        cylinder(h = long_stem_height + addabit, d = stem_diameter);
    }
    module inthegroove(){
        rotate_extrude(convexity = 10)
        translate([disk_diameter / 2, 0, 0])
        circle(r = groove_radius);
    }
    module holes(){
        cylinder(h = disk_thick + short_stem_height + long_stem_height + abitmore, d = axle_hole);
        translate([0, 0, disk_diameter / 2 - short_stem_height + disk_thick / 2])
        inthegroove();
    }
    difference(){
        solids();
        translate([0, 0, -short_stem_height - abitmore / 2])
        holes();
        translate([0, -half_a_block, -half_a_block])
        cube(arbitrarily_large_block);
    }
    Here's the last code I created. If you intend to increase axle_hole to 1.95 mm, there won't be enough material remaining to print the axle_diameter of 2.0 mm. You'll want at least two nozzle widths around the hole, more is better. Change axle_diameter to 2.0 plus 0.4 * 4 (1.6) which will make it 3.6 mm. If you can get a 4.4 mm or 4.8 mm to fit, that's even better. Size matters.

Earlier in this message, I suggested that you consider to chop the object in half in order to print it for better layer line orientation. I know at least three ways to accomplish this and can probably think of others. Two involve Meshmixer and Fusion 360 and it's entirely possible that Cura will allow it as well, but I'll stick to OpenSCAD to improve the confusion factor.

Notice that there are two new lines in the difference() feature, as well as matching lines at the top of the code, to define the parameters.
    half idler.jpg

You can now use Cura to drop the flat surface to your bed, rotating it appropriately for better printing. Do NOT use manual rotation, use the "drop to bed" feature in Cura, which will ensure that all surfaces are flat on the printer bed. As this is an exact chop in the middle, you can simply print two of the same, to glue together and create a far superior model from a strength standpoint as well as removing the requirement for supports. Ensure that you have supports turned off inside Cura.

If I can get my head together, I'll address the other model, if I am able to remember. The next couple of days are going to be challenging and by the time the weekend gets close, I'll have forgotten.

Fierst I hope your personal issues resolve Fred

I realize projects are overlapping, my apologies

I'll continue in a subsequent post to sort things out

Here is a photo of assembled printer, I have PLA and ABS filament

Printer has USB and sd card

In order to print do i need to connect via usb or stl file on SD card do?

Post # 32 ( pulley) is my main priority with adjustable parameters in openscad to add a stem and tinker with its height and core

Many thanks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast