Close

CoefficientOfExpansion

Does anyone know where I can find a list of coefficients of thermal expansion(CTE) of all the materials currently being used in 3d printing?
    I've been looking around for quite some time now and specs are found, but it seems that the specs are usually leaving out the CTE.
    I'm looking for a commercial printer that can print a material with a similar CTE of steel or aluminum.
    Any help would be highly appreciated

Engineer-in-Training
    I don't have exact figures, but AFAIK ABS is 1% and PLA about half as much.

What does the 1% represent CaptainObvious? If you check out this list http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/li...ents-d_95.html you can get a clearer idea as to what I'm talking about. But I'm only interested in the 3d printed materials.

Senior Engineer
    1% means that if you take the starting temperature as the temperature at which it becomes solid (glass transition temperature) and the stop temperature as room temperature then it will be about 1% smaller at room temperature than it was at the start temperature.

That is a very rough estimate that works for most small objects. You can calculate it from your link, what more do you need?

I also think that the thermal expansion of ABS is not linear over the temperature range but that is just my observation, I haven't bothered researching it.

Getting a plastic that will follow a metal in terms of thermal expansion will take some serious money and equipment unless someone has been there before you and developed one.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 09-07-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Thanks for clarifying the 1% Mjolinor. You have me thinking about non-linear expansions. I'm looking for a document with a list of physical properties from materials that 3d printers print.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Don't forget you can coat a plastic model with metal. Would that help ?

And what are the stats on the new carbon fibre filaments and machine ?

Not sure you'll find any difinitive list. There are more materials and manufacturers seemingly every week.

Just getting basic printing temps and stickage info can be hard enough