Close

$5 Million 3D Printed Reproduction of 18th Century St. Petersburg

St Petersburg Russia in the 1700's was a different place than it is today. Because of this, a Russian group has used 3D printing to print the city's 300 year old self. In a staggeringly large 16,000+ square foot scaled down version of the city, the youth in Russia can now get a glimpse of the past. Using 3D printers and other computer aided tools like laser engraving, the team worked tirelessly and spent over $5 million to create what is certainly the largest reproduction of a city ever. At 1:87 scale, the thing features over 1000 feet of roadways, and an incredible 20 tons of water. More details as well as images and a video of this exhibit can be found here: http://3dprint.com/14143/st-petersburg-russia-3d-print

Check out just a part of this huge 3D printed exhibit of St. Petersburg:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wow.

I wonder if 3d printing speeded it up or slowed it down. It's pretty quick to knock up a small building.
    Think about it a skilled carpenter with some laser cut template is going to be able to build more than one building every 8 hours.

Love the fact that all the people move and the carrieges are on magnetic routes.

I suspect someone was just looking for ways to make sure they didn't have to give any of the $5million back ;-)
    I mean this is russia - labour is cheap, also wonder how much of the money went to the local mafia :-)
    Judging by the billions they got during the winter olympic construction, it'd be a fair whack.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-05-2014 at 11:49 AM.