Close

Newbie 3D Printer here, go easy

HiI have recently purchased a Creality Ender 3 NEO and I am having a few problems.I have printed a few things, some successfully and some not so successful but I guess its a learning process right.Where I am really struggling is levelling the bed. This NEO has the CR Touch installed and according to the guide, I have to run the bed levelling (it does its thing) and then the the Z Offset by putting paper underneath and lowering it until there is some resistance, set this offset and then save the config. Is this it? Whenever I do this prints don't always work.The other thing I have tried is the program downloaded which goes to the four corners and you can put paper underneath and then raise/lower until there is resistance. Whenever I do this and run the program which draws squares (on this one though the squares are drawn big to small whereas on youtube they appear to be the other way, small to big) they don't stick to the bed on one side. It says that when it doesn't stick it likely that the bed needs to be raised slightly on that corner, which I do but I was hoping that I could get it so that it would stick.Is there something I am doing wrong?I really want to print an iron man mask but can't get past this first bit.Help

Really at the end of my tether here, this is so hit and miss its unreal so I am obviously doing something wrong. I have printed some lovely things but some are just crap.
    Levelling the bed on a Ender 3 Neo. I have downloaded the test which goes to each corner, put the paper in to get some resistance, I run it again and its out of whack so I do it again and it again is out. Eventually I conceded and run the code that draws the big to small squares in an attempt to be able to fix it on the fly but it still goes wrong.
    Clearly doing something wrong here, tried following all of the Creality steps but that makes it worse.
    Any ideas?

Hello
    When i was first starting i made so many mistakes it is a part of learning.
    i don't have a cr touch but i have a bl touch and when i was setting up the z offset i realized that once leveling it moved up 5mm. so to set the z offset maybe try to see if the nozzle goes up after leveling( you should be able to see on the LCD the z possession). than you can move it back down to 0 using the LCD. you could also try doing a manual bed level.
    Have a great day

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    It appears you are doing every thing in the correct order.

Leveling the bed is kind of an Art until you have more experience under your belt some may fail an some will work.
    Some times you just have to learn from your experiences.

Super Moderator
    Can only suggest that you try a bed leveling test somewhere along the lines of..
    https://www.printables.com/model/171544-bed-leveling

I use something similar only with 13 squares. I don't know what bed plate you use, but if it's a flexible one you can always stick a piece of aluminium tape on the underside in any particularly low places, sometimes more than one thickness
    Sometimes the bed is warped or bowed and that's the best way I've found of sorting it

Just look at each square and try and determine where the bed is low or high, if you're not sure set the 'Z' offset in the slicer by +0.02mm at a time and reprint it, that will then give you a better idea of which way to go.
    Set layer height at 0.2mm, only one layer.

A bit tedious I know, but I have not checked my bed level now for several prints, I just wipe the PEI sheet in position and wipe with IPA and a paper towel before each print

https://www.toolstation.com/aluminium-foil-tape/p97723

Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 01-16-2023 at 11:00 AM.

i found for my ender i have to level the bed multiple times in the same session. once does not cut it. level it, go back to z offset and do it again, level again 2nd time, etc. then try. 1x never does it for me on ender. also if you have a bed leveling device you can try G29 to your start code to run it every job to fine tune the leveling once you have it set once properly (https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G029-ubl.html)

I have managed to kind of get it level but still very hit and miss at the moment. I have found that heating up the before levelling makes quite a difference. When I want to print now I run the code that starts in the middle and then goes to each corner. In the middle its never quite right but on the corners I can do the paper thing so that there is a bit of resistance on each corner, this works on the first time. Then I run it again and do the corners and adjust again. When it gets to the middle its rarely the same as the corners so I just leave it. I start the print and when its a bit feint on the left (which it normally is) I adjust on the fly and it seem to get a bit better and prints come out.I really haven't understood the Z Offset bit yet, from what I can work out from the internet and forums, you set the Z offset to 0 and run the bed levelling, then adjust the Z offset again afterwards to do the resistance thing with the paper and you should be good to go. The issue I have with this is when/if I run the manual levelling program and do the corners, they are always out.I am sure I am heading in the right direction but this really is quite a faff to get this right. I do have a load of metal depth guages which I might start to use but unsure as to which is the exact depth I need to use. I think that the underlying problem here is the 'slight resistance' bit on the paper. I can feel some resistance but the difference between slight and a lot is very fine indeed. I wish there was an easier way and I thought I had that with the NEO having the CR Touch installed.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    The last lines of my startup g-code is always in the Slicer

M420 S1 ; Bed Leveling turned On
    M106 P1 S128 ; P1 = 2nd Fan set 50% Speed
    M220 S32.000000 Starting print speed

Super Moderator
    I found that by using some locknuts/wingnuts under the bed adjuster nuts it helped to eliminate any drift to the bed height caused by vibrations or the bed moving backwards and forwards.

Also making the springs well compressed can help, I don't think the bed needs to 'float' on top of the springs