Close

Advise on how to produce thousands of small flat plates

I am looking for other options to make small rectangular plates. Each plate measures 2" x 1" x 2mm thick. Plates have rounded corners and have to be of good quality. I currently have 2 prusa mk3s+ printers going 24/7 and was wondering if there are any alternatives to creating stuff like that? Maybe plastic extruders or something? If I could get some advice and be led in the right direction as to which route I should take that would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Staff Engineer
    Good quality is open to interpretation and in this context is effectively meaningless. Consider that one can route out a board of sufficient density to match your shape requirements. A large board can provide tens of cavities based on your specifications. Collect HDPE recyclable plastic bottles, cut them up or run through an ordinary paper shredder. Heat them in a suitable manner and place in the aforementioned mold. A good mold would be one of 1 mm depth on each panel, which when pressed together will create plastic "pillows" of the desired dimensions. That's just one approach, but there are many options. https://www.instructables.com/How-To...-The-Easy-Way/

thanks for the reply.
    But i was looking for something more realistic like a small scale molding machine perhaps? or an extruder? would anything like that be available for hobbyists?

Staff Engineer
    https://www.immould.com/diy-injectio...lding-at-home/

Pretty expensive, but certainly a possibility. For the thickness you require, you could use a punch press with a couple of appropriately sized dies to cut the rectangles with the rounded corners.