Close

Question Advice for a newbie

Hi everyone! I was gifted an Anycubic Vyper 3D Printer for Christmas and I'm very excited to jump into 3D printing, but I'm also completely clueless. I'd appreciate any advice that people can give me. Specifically, I'm curious about the following things: 1) Fumes/Smell - I've read mixed things about this. I'm not sure if there's a health issue breathing in fumes from the melted plastic, especially as the printer is probably going in my home office and I'll be stuck in a closed room with it while it is printing all day long. I've looked a little at getting some sort of enclosure with a ventilation system. I'm wondering how necessary this is and if anyone could recommend something that would work with my printer. 2) I'd like to know if there are any projects that would be good to start off with to get my feet under me. Any suggestions? 3) What do you wish you'd known when you first started out? A.K.A. help me skip some of the mistakes. 4) What's the best part of having a 3D printer? What's the worst? 5) Anything else you think I should know?

Technologist
    I got an AnyCubic Mega X about 6 months ago. I've been using the AnyCubic PLA and I have not found any smells or fumes really coming off my prints. I have been having a total blast with my printer. It's my first 3d printer and first time 3d printing.

Now, I am not new to 3d modeling. I have been making and selling CNC patterns for about 9 years so have a full library of 3d models to play with.

I always recommend learning a good 3d modeling program to make your own patterns otherwise you are stuck with whatever you can find on the web (though there are literally thousand of decent models out there).

Good luck. It has been a ton of fun.

To start
    best things
    making things that you have designed
    printing replacement parts
    printing in genrial

Worst things
    cleaning
    wasting filament
    having no friend doing 3d printing
    struggles and hardships of being a noob

Thing i wish i knew