Close

Support extruder for a direct extruder 3D printer

Hi all,I have a problem with my Artillery Sidewinder X2 wich is a direct extruder 3D printer.

I built cases for my filament where I have a openings to use the filament without opening the box.
    See this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2agpkSxcsIt works pretty well and is a huge improvement in working with filament espectially that is sensible to humidity.

However I noticed a problem during printing.
    Espectially when I print the first layer of a print, the layer offset is influenced by the higher pulling resistence of the box mechanic. I think I can eliminate the Sidewinder X2 extruder beeing the cause of the problem since there seems to be no slippage while pulling the filmament. Instead I think the whole extruder slide is pulled slightly up when new filament is needed. The pull on the filament string seems to be high that the extruder slide keeps stable on the z-axis.I could avoid to print directly form the boxes and that definately solves the problem but I really want that direct printing from the boxes happen, since it is a huge improvement and I often have to change the filament.

Now I came to the idea that a second extruder that is mounted on the printer frame should solve the problem.
    It should come automatically active when the filament pull to the primary extruder rises. This should relax the pull that comes from the box.Is there something like this?
    A pull enabled secondary extruder that supports the primary extruder and reduces the force on the z-axis.

Hope someone can help, thanks.
    Last edited by Scanner1721; 12-29-2022 at 02:12 AM.

Super Moderator
    A dry box with two rollers for the reel to sit on will probably have less friction than the central hanger.
    The one I have came with a Qidi printer and the reel rests on two steel rods that are supported with a ball race at each end.

yes with the original roller everything is fine.

I want to use my dry boxes directly and yes there is an additonal friction that leads to the problem. This is why I thought of installing a second extruder or more or less a "puller" that reduces the stress of the direct extruder of the printer.