Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Will we see copy cats?

Do you guys think we will quickly see companies copying the idea from Peachy Printer? As far as I know they don't have a patent on this technology, do they?

Seems like it is a pretty simple idea, that any larger company could easily duplicate.

It's sure it will be copied, with better and/or cheaper part.

No patent as it's open source hardware.

I love how they are leaving this as open source. I'm just wondering if it will come back and bite them in the butt.

I think the whole point of it being open source is to encourage people to 'copy' and improve upon the design. So in this case, I certainly hope it is copied. I expect vast improvements at a very quick rate.

(The Video from the link)
    https://youtu.be/CmZ_9646q2U?t=1694
    "We could print a canoe if we wanted to"

^^

His comment about printing a canoe makes me almost certain he's seem the peachy, the most interesting thing he mentions are the resin properties and messing around with partial curing layers

Yes of course.
    They are not just copy cats,
    they use the same technology to print highly sophisticated materials which is the central part of their work.

I feel Peachy Printers is about what people can do with 3D printers. The original pitch seemed to suggest Ryan invented it because he couldn't afford a 3D printer to invent other products with.

Big companies have a horrible attitude to makers and would be inventors. Like we have to pay a premium for the luxury of inventing it ourselves. And our print is the end of the process not the beginning of something. Even if they copy it they will focus so much on getting every cent from the customers people will regret buying from a soulless company.
    Last edited by Alchemy; 01-12-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Alchemy nailed it. Peachy has publicly posted ethical promises to itself and to its customers. You aren't going to get that from a corporate giant. Regarding small companies attempting to copy the design, Peachy will have the leg up in experience and reputation.

That video is very suspicious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast