Close

Hybrid View

Phantom, Dual Independent Extruder 3D Printer

We have all seen dual extrusion machines before. These are nothing new. What is new, however, is a printer which utilizes dual extruders working mostly independent from one another. A Lithuana company called Phantom Corporation is soon ready to launch a crowdfunding campaign for what may be the world's first independent dual extrusion 3D printer, the Phantom. More details on this incredible machine can be found here: http://3dprint.com/13561/phantom-dual-extruder-3d/

What do you guys think? Will Phantom be legit? Below is one of the first pictures available for the upcoming 3D Printer.

Looks like it is up on indiegogo, not much info.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ers-3d-printer

Engineer-in-Training
    I'll call it a scam. Other than the rough first prototype photo, apparently shown in someone's bedroom, they're all renderings. They don't show a prototype running, they don't show parts being made, they don't even show parts allegedly made with this "Phantom" device. If it was a real device, posting videos would be a trivial thing.

The promo video is just a bunch of yakking, hand waving and rendered animations. There one reason it's on Indiegogo and not Kickstarter.

Save the money and buy a 3D printer that's for sale right now rather than buy someone's blue sky in the hopes of getting a machine March 2015. Given typical crowdfund delays, you might get it in time for Christmas, assuming it's actually a real project rather than empty promises, that's a long time to be out 2000 or so Euros.

It's even on "flexible funding", so they get the money whether or not their goal is reached. What's the point of the goal then, if they don't actually need that much to finish product development?
    Last edited by JRDM; 09-02-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Staff Engineer
    On the one hand, it isn't promised to be delivered in a month Their six-month delivery time on the Early Bird printers isn't very likely, but it's not as egregiously bad as some campaigns.

On the other hand, this is a glimmer of a concept that is making big promises on performance... Maybe also there is some language barrier here, but the video and write up on the indiegogo page just trigger my scam-senses all over the place. I mean "One day there was a boy. He came up with a vision to change the world." Really?

Maybe I could be wrong, maybe they're of the opinion that detail and clarity don't sell products like a warm and fuzzy journey of self-discovery.

Maybe it's just that the thing that with what they show in the render and prototype the very gimmick they are implying the printer to have isn't physically possible. You can get two heads on two gantries working at the same time on the same part, sure. But they will crash into each-other, pause for each-other, have to move out of each-other's way enough that you can only get about 50% faster printing depending on geometry, and a big sacrifice in quality, again depending on the geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    On the one hand, it isn't promised to be delivered in a month Their six-month delivery time on the Early Bird printers isn't very likely, but it's not as egregiously bad as some campaigns.

On the other hand, this is a glimmer of a concept that is making big promises on performance... Maybe also there is some language barrier here, but the video and write up on the indiegogo page just trigger my scam-senses all over the place. I mean "One day there was a boy. He came up with a vision to change the world." Really?

Maybe I could be wrong, maybe they're of the opinion that detail and clarity don't sell products like a warm and fuzzy journey of self-discovery.

Maybe it's just that the thing that with what they show in the render and prototype the very gimmick they are implying the printer to have isn't physically possible. You can get two heads on two gantries working at the same time on the same part, sure. But they will crash into each-other, pause for each-other, have to move out of each-other's way enough that you can only get about 50% faster printing depending on geometry, and a big sacrifice in quality, again depending on the geometry.

Well healthy critic is always good. They story may be not acceptable in some cases but as far as I asked around it was interesting to read, wasn't it?
    It is 75% faster actually, we are still trying to improve up to 100% by using cooling camera and by improving extruders movement.
    There are two different axes it has total 7 different axes. I probably not supposed to tell that because of really strict patenting rules.

The Phantom printer so far is what it says it is, a phantom. It is difficult to invest in a product, where promises are made, but no prototypes have been shown to be operating at all. I always run by "Underpromise, over deliver." And so far, there have been lots of promise, but unfortunately lack of anything to be delivered. The strength of a crowd funded project really depends on its momentum and its been 3 days and it has raised 6 euros out of 200,000 euros. People need to believe in the product, and unfortunately, there just isn't enough material for someone to put up their own material(money).