Close

The ShapeWays & Thingiverse Monopolies

Do you guys think that ShapeWays is "shaping up" to basically become a monopoly in the field of allowing users to 3D Print items, and have them shipped to their homes. At the same time Thingiverse seems to be the one true website where everyone uploads their designs. It is quickly becoming a huge dirrectory of just about anything you could imagine, that you want to print.

Do you think these companies are monopolies?

I personally don't see any other companies being able to come in and compete with either one of them. The printing hardware that ShapeWays owns, has to be worth several million dollars. No startup will be able to even afford the hardware, let alone the advertising dollars it would take to get on the map, and convince people to use them instead of ShapeWays.

Thingiverse, even though they are a Makerbot company seems to be the destination for everyone, whether they own a MakerBot printer or not. It's really a very simple concept, but I can't see how another company could make a competing site that could catch on.

Just wondering what your opinions are.

There are several other companies that are competing with Shapeways but on a much smaller scale? They really own the market. It is only a monolopy because nobody else has stepped up to the plate? At least with Thingiverse, for now, it does not cost anything.

I have seen a couple of other sites similar to thingiverse, not nearly as large, not nearly as impressive, but they are out there.

Student
    grabcad.com has a huge selection of really cool cad designs. most can be used on a printer.
    Sketch-up warehouse also has a huge selection of things.
    Granted these sites weren't set up for 3d printing but with plug ins and converters they do the trick.
    Thingiverse is much easier for people to use though so score one for them. I'm just not sure how it's going to go with thingiverse. Will they eventually start charging for there service? will the creators of the work actually get paid and credited?

Shapeways will be unmatched until another company can manage the costly task of acquiring an SLS printer army that can match Shapeways collection. ...But it's yet to be seen if their business model is really making good profit yet.

Thingiverse has lots of competition out there. ...I think what will really solidify them with people is if they set it up so that you can sell through Thingiverse. With their current community, if things were thoughtfully priced, there would be a lot of money to be made for MakerBot and 3D builders wishing to sell some of their more prized designs.