Close

Exclamation Bigger models won't print correctly. Plastic Strings, missing layers/walls etc. Help

Hello all, Completely new to the 3D printing world and in a moment of sheer confidence having previously downloaded several objects to print from Thingverse with no issue, I told my wife I could make a few items she needs for a blind student in her classroom. Currently I am working on a recycle symbol that I made in TinkerCad after the ones off of Thingverse would not work either. I am getting strings, adhesion problems and issues with plastic not extruding consistently in the same place on the image. I have tried decreasing print head temp from 215 to 190, increasing base temp from 50 all the way to 65, adjusted the retraction and retraction speeds, basically everything I could find on the net. I though for a moment it was the filament as it has been out for 6 months but in a dry place (I live in what they call a high desert so air is alway dry) but when I print the Cat.gcode that came with my printer (Monoprice IIIP Select Mini V2 E3D) it prints fine and if I reprint the Groot character that I have on my desk it works fine too. I have attached the STL file, the gcode I am using from it and an image of what I am getting. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this. I have tried other prints such as a half hemisphere to imitate the face of a basketball and it had similar issues.Thanks in advance, I hope to get proficient enough to return the favor one day soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    It appears that your nozzle is a little to high above the bed. Adjust using Z-Offset.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    It appears that your nozzle is a little to high above the bed. Adjust using Z-Offset.
    That worked perfectly, I had to download the plug-in for Cura but I found it, set it -0.2 and that did the trick. I really appreciate the help! Just curious, is Cura the best low cost or free slicer out there or do you prefer a different program?

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I use many different slicers, as it is up to the user - me to determine which one works best for my 3D Printers...

So guess you would like me to tell you what I have determined was best for my uses.

In alphabetical order for free slicers was.

Cura *
    IdeaMaker
    Matter Control
    Prusa slicer *

The two best in my opinion were Cura and Prusa Slicer.
    The thing is that I still use Cura 15.04.6 it is great for a quick slice with no special options.
    Though Cura's newer version have plenty of option for better print quality Prusa slicer out preforms all slicer I have used.

In my opinion Prusa Slicer 2.4.1 Standalone works so well it could be placed as completion with any slicer you would purchase.
    An with the Prusa's programming group working constantly on this slicer it will only get better with age...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    personally I really can't stand cura - though as roberts_cliff says, the older version wa smuch easier to use.

I use simplify3d for almost all my slicing.
    I think it's still worth buying, if you're not strapped for cash, though I bought it about 8 years ago, and things have come a long way since then.
    I absolutely do not regret buying it.

I also use flashprint for my replicator pro.

But if i werent using simplify3d I would probably use prusaslicer - NOT cura.

I just never gelled with cura.

As an addendum.
    It is looking increasingly like simplify3d is dead in the water and the company has either wound up or is in a prolonged death rattle.

That said. Cura has just introduced a thing called arachne, that lets it extrude different width beads from a single nozzle diameter.

Simplify3d has had this feature for several years - so i reckon I'm still ahead of the curve :-)

But, yeah if i were a new printer owner I would most likely use prusaslicer - and flashprint, if you have a replicator clone :-)