Close

Technician

Larger PETG part, extreme layer shifting (Over 50mm up and 20mm right)

This is the largest item I printed on PETG and it's also the first one w/ my new microswiss all metal hot end. I have a maker select V2. I had printhead at 260 and bed at 60. The print not only shifted up gradually it went left. The bottom layers remained in place so it didn't warp and deboned from the bed, the top layers actually moved. The bed is moving freely w/o any binding anywhere. I've never seen this before and would love any insight on this. I may try the print in PLA to see if it happens again but that's a lot of wasted material. The layers are all well bonded, just severely shifted. I also have no idea why there is a blob on it either, the printhead shifts up and away from the job when the print is completed to prevent any oozing onto the printed item.Any ideas what could cause this?Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like hardware to me.. filament type can not do that.. Only thing that is possible is if it was over extruding and the extruder hit the part during a move and become out of sync with the Gcode. I have had that happen with petg..

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    looks like hardware to me.. filament type can not do that.. Only thing that is possible is if it was over extruding and the extruder hit the part during a move and become out of sync with the Gcode. I have had that happen with petg..

I think you may be onto something there. It also happened w/ PLA but my PLA was a different color. Noticed blobs of the old RED color on my green print and then realized what happened more than likely was that when I had an issue early on when setting up the nozzle excess PETG got between my printhead fan and the silicone cover for it and just stayed there oozing out over time. it started to build those mounds you see in the flat area. I speculate it got too high, solidified and it was hard/high enough that the nozzle could not travel through it so the X/Y steppers were out of sync at that point in relation to where they thought they should be. I'll know more in a bit but that's the only logical reason I can think of currently.

Dave

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Makes sense, usually if a nozzle catches a print, it knocks the print off the build plate,
    But if the drive cogs are looses, it could perceivavbly move the head instead :-)

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Makes sense, usually if a nozzle catches a print, it knocks the print off the build plate,
    But if the drive cogs are looses, it could perceivavbly move the head instead :-)
    This was a very short and wide print so it had tons of surface area to bond to the plate. It was PETG too which bonds to the point I can barely get it off some times.