Close

Technician

Weird curling problem when printing a thin item in 100% infil

The print job is a 4.5mm thick plate (lid actually) that is 155x160mm (See attached stl). It will curl on the front right side of the print when printing infills of 50% or greater. Al though due to time constraints I only tested in 20% (my normal go to infill), 50% and 100% (What my goal infill for this job was)
    • The printer is a maker select 2 that I've had for many years.

• The bed surface material was replaced a few months ago also but not because of this, just because it was years old.

• I am using the same filament I've been using for 2 rolls from amazon (SUNLU).

• I've had no other issues w/ this filament and reviews have been good

• I print at 210/40C and always have w/o any issues

printer config:
    • Maker Select 2

• I have a duct w/ a cage fan that cools prints. Print cooling fan is running after layer 2

• 210/40C

• 1st layer 15mm/sec

• all other layers 50mm/sec

• .28mm layer height

• 210/40C

print info and tests I've run on same job
    • If I print the job at 50% infill it's better

• If I print the job at 20% infill it does not curl

• Tried to reduce printhead temp to 200, no change

• Bed is level to .001" as confirmed w/ a feeler gauge

• Bed is clear of any debris

I don't think it's pertinent here but I have included a copy of the item I was printing.My
    Attached Files Attached Files

Technician
    Anyone have any opinions?

Super Moderator
    Leveling a bed with a feeler gauge will only tell if the bed is flat, not if it is level to the 'X' and 'Y' axis.

If the bed was tilted at 30 degrees it would still show as level using a feeler gauge and straight edge.

Just print a bed level test to check.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeracer2020 View Post
    Leveling a bed with a feeler gauge will only tell if the bed is flat, not if it is level to the 'X' and 'Y' axis.

If the bed was tilted at 30 degrees it would still show as level using a feeler gauge and straight edge.

Just print a bed level test to check.
    I should have been a bit more clear. When I'm using a feeler gauge I am going around the entire perimeter of the bed multiple times until I've got the exact same distance between the printhead and the nozzle around the entire perimeter. I do all of my tolerance testing with the bed at 40 C and the printhead at 2:05 to simulate the
    thermal expansion of materials at print temperature.

Dave