Close

Type A Machines Stepper Motor Replacement Question 2012 WOODEN edition

PXL_20220529_162412619[1].jpgHi, I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get a replacement motor for the type A machines wooden 2012 model. It was their first printer they made. I have searched high and low and can find no info on it and the company went belly up years ago. Attaching a photo of the motor with the writing on the back. This is the x-axis motor, and the dimensions are 35 mm x 35 mm x 31.5 mm. Any help appreciated to find either this exact motor, or a suitable replacement, preferably one more powerful. This one started missing steps with a light load. Thank you!
    Last edited by 3DProduction; 06-03-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try adding pictures now.
    also a pic of the printer might also be useful.

I would imagine it's a bog standard stepper motor.

but 2012, who knows :-)
    There were still some odd bits of kit around back then.

Uploaded the pic... don't you hate that when you forget to uplod?? Thanks for any help identifying a good replacement!

Engineer-in-Training
    It is a Nema 14 motor but the length is not one of the standard lengths. the nearest are 28 or 35mm long you can get the 35mm long one from Amazon !!!

Engineer-in-Training
    Correction there are 32mm long Nema 14 motors but I can't find a uk source. US ebsy has one featured !

Engineer-in-Training

Darn, the shaft is 8mm and my motor shaft is 23mm and mounted so it needs every millimeter. Are all of these size nemas going to run at the same amperage? I was reading how you can tweak the amperage on the controller but I'd rather not do that. The old motor I believe was 1 amp. Really appreciate you taking the time to look and find that one

Engineer-in-Training
    I am sorry you are having trouble finding the exact motor you need but you moght have to make some changes to fitt what is available. Remember the the label Nema 14 only describes the mounting plate though lengths and number of steps seem a sort of ad hoc standard. The 1 amp current you mention is "standard" for most of the similar sized Nema motors so another motor of nearly the same size should work with no problems.

I would get one that I could physically fit even if I had to modify the shaft fitting.