Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    It was just drawn in Fusion 360, it's approx 100mm by 140mm.

Just a rectangle with the face drawn on it then extruded up 3mm and exported as an .obj file.

Qidi had similar results using Prusa slicer, no solution as yet and I doubt there will be. In the unlikely event I print that particular file again I'll probably go for concentric pattern rather than lines.

Have you tried exporting to an stl? or just the obj?

Check this out.
    save stl.jpg
    See the extra lines connecting the two circles.
    save stl with question.png

Sorry for the bad drawing in paint but I felt like that was the best was to get my point across.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are trying to show or how this will help correct the issue.
    You mention a slicer setting, I would appreciate knowing what that would be ?

Could you explain how ' boolean operations ' are causing the issue?

It is not very likely I'll be printing that particular file again, but the knowledge of how to preven it would be handy.
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 05-09-2022 at 01:18 AM.

sorry about my half baked explanation, the idea is that there are polygons/triangle bunched up in that spot(along the red line) and then the slicer fails to actually handle it, I believe it's the resolution setting. Id try increasing it gradually.
    slicer.png

Super Moderator
    Just wondering which slicer you show in your post ?

Perhaps you can explain the triangles, it's just a flat plane interrupted by some holes, not a curved surface where I would expect some triangles in the mesh

Quote Originally Posted by Bikeracer2020 View Post
    Just wondering which slicer you show in your post ?

Perhaps you can explain the triangles, it's just a flat plane interrupted by some holes, not a curved surface where I would expect some triangles in the mesh
    I'm using pursa slicer, newest version. As for the triangles, they make up the mesh and it doesn't have to be a curved surface, triangles are created by vertices(points) connected by edges to create the faces aka triangles. So when creating your model in a program like fusion, it'll work with polygons(or what ever they're using) and export to a simpler format for a slicer to read(hence gcode a coordinate system with location information about said vertices and with additional variables like feed, laser, extruder, etc ).

So what am I getting at? Sometimes when doing a boolean operation it can lead to the faces being bunched up in or around an not keeping a even topography. So like if I open that same part in let's say... Meshmixer...

So this is a flat plane thats been extruded a few mm, and if I open this in my slicer, it'll show a flat plane(with the holes in it) but the distortion from the triangles isnt visible. in meshmixer it is because it doesnt automatically try to smooth those triangles, and sometimes this can replicate itself in gcode(in this case an extra extrusion across the top.).

Super Moderator
    I've started using Prusa Slicer and it is a slicer setting, so nothing to do with boolean operations or polygons in the STL mesh, latest test print has removed all the ridges in the top surface finish by using a Monotonic fill setting.

The cause of the ridges was because the extruder moved left to right, stopped and printed in a different area and then resumed by coming back going right to left until it reached where it had stopped previously.

The Monotonic setting makes the extruder always move in the same direction, so it always restarts extruding where it left off.
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 09-03-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12