Close

Filament suggestion

I'm designing a piece (2 actually) that I need to "snap" together. I printed it with standard PLA, however the PLA is too brittle and the snap "prongs" will not bend. I need a semi-flexible filament with some "give", but not rubbery. I've researched but some are said to be as flexible as gym shoes and can be folded, etc. That would be WAY pliable for this application. I've attached a picture of my design - any suggestions before I invest in a new type of filament? Thanks gdgdad6@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

PETG should work for you

Super Moderator
    You could try ASA. I use it as my "go to" filament. It can also be solvent welded with acetone.

Personally I would alter the design so that the prong part could be printed separately and glued into a groove in the ring, that way it would be easy to have the layer lines going in the best direction to resist snapping.

Filament type / design tip

Bikeracer - thanks for the advice, I'll start with PETG first and see how that works. My initial design when printed out (in PLA) lined up great, sharp edges and corners, etc, it just wouldn't bend, so that'll be my "test plan A". Plan B would be what you suggest.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikeracer2020 View Post
    You could try ASA. I use it as my "go to" filament. It can also be solvent welded with acetone.

Personally I would alter the design so that the prong part could be printed separately and glued into a groove in the ring, that way it would be easy to have the layer lines going in the best direction to resist snapping.

What Bikeracer2020 was referring to is when you print your part as it is, that tab is standing up and the layers go across the width of the tab. If the tab was a separate part, it would be printed laying flat and the layers would go the length of the tab. It would then be chemically welded to the main apart (can't do that with PETG) and be stronger than the way it is now. I would still try with PETG first. PETG needs NO FAN, except on small parts such as that tab.. Try it first with no fan, temp 235C. If that tab does not come out well, try turning the fan on after you are about 4 or 5 layers above the main part.
    Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasreyes View Post
    Hey there!First and foremost, PLA is easy to print with. It has a lower printing temperature than ABS, and it doesn’t warp as easily, meaning it doesn’t require a heating bed (although it definitely helps). Another benefit of using PLA is that it doesn’t give off an offputting odor during printing (unlike ABS). It’s generally considered an odorless filament, but many have reported smelling sweet candy-like fumes depending on the type of PLA.
    If you bother to read the opening post you will see that PLAis not proving suitabe, so why post a generaslisation about PLA ?

I sometimes wonder if other experts like yourself know anything other than what you have read about PLA.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    probably a spammer, but no links I can find.

I find with pla, the gentle appliction of a rubber mallet often overcomes inflexibility.

Unless you actually want to take it apart again - then, go with something more bendy like petg :-)

But it bend more often than it breaks.

ASA I haven't tried properly. I did test some and it smelt as bad as abs, so didn't bother going any further.

But pla will generally give, with enough applied force :-)

If you can print it I'd try abs or cf nylon. I think a resin printer would print these pieces better though if theyre smaller(using an abs like or tough resin)