Close

Power to Print - 3D Gun Printing Documentary

3D Printed guns are certainly something which will be hotly debated in the coming years ahead. With designs such as the Liberator making their way around the internet, anyone who wants to 3D print one pretty much can. In 'Power to Print' Brett Kuxhausen examines just how easy it is to do. He also brings his 3D printed gun to a police department for some questioning of an officer. More details on this film and its outcome can be found here: http://3dprint.com/12773/power-to-print-3d-print-gun

Very interesting. It's funny, because most police officers probably wouldn't even know what to do with a 3D printed gun.

Staff Engineer
    They would know not to fire it. That's like saying they wouldn't know what to do with a zip-gun or a shiv. The printing doesn't make this availability new, it just makes it look more legitimate a threat than it is.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I retract my statement.

After reading the current laws and "Ghost gun' laws, we're all in for a rough ride.

Thanks cody wilson for screwing it up for everyone.
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-03-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the whole 3d gun debate is amusing if you live in the uk.

Sure you could print a gun - but you still need a firearms licence to buy ammunition :-)

Obviously in the us where anyone can walk into a store and just buy ammo - and guns are given away with cornflake packets, it's more of an issue.

More I suspect because you can't trace rifling or firing pin patterns than because people can make unaccurate, exploding hand guns.

That said - a piece of metal tubing, some ducttape, elastic band, small nail and some basic woodworking will make a gun every bit as serviceable as a plastic printed one.
    Maybe only one shot - but how many shots do you need ?

It's pretty much a non-issue as far as I can see.

In countries like the states where some ammunition is unregulated - anyone can knock up a workable gun faster than printing one.
    And in countries like the uk where you can't buy the ammunition, it's pretty much a pointless exercise.

Weirdly - black powder guns are almost unregulated in the uk. So I guess a mostly plastic caplock/flintlock/matchlock gun could be made and fired under a basic shotgun licence.
    But that takes skills and resources the average criminal just doesn't have.

It's just an emotive topic - particularly for americans who seem to intertwine their whole national identity with gun ownership - one way or the other

And let's face it no one in their right mind would want a plastic barrel. Guess you could use a carbon fibre filament.
    But a few bucks at a hardware store would get you a serviceable metal barrel, that could be easily reinforced.

I don't want to turn this into a tutorial on how to make a zipgun.
    But it's pretty damn easy.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-03-2014 at 06:41 AM.