Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Engineer-in-Training
    I don't think the problem is the number of customers, though the volume didn't help.

I think part of it is they weren't very thorough about what it costs to build a machine and ended up offering them for less than what they cost to build. Labor isn't cheap all said, rent isn't cheap, there will be unexpected contingencies in getting materials & supplies. That's the danger with people trying to sell machines cheaper without having any kind of business experience. That's why it grates me every time I see a Kickstarter that says "3D printers shouldn't be so expensive" without doing anything meaningful about their design and manufacturing that would allow them to be made them cheaper, and hopefully without being crappier. The Kickstarter mentioned resin casting to increase volume over 3D printed parts, but it sounded like they had no experience with that. They also mentioned injection molding, but it doesn't sound like they even explored that option.

I've also seen an open letter anonymously posted by a supposed former employee alleging that they were spending lots of customer money on dinners and creature comforts.
    Last edited by JRDM; 03-15-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Technician
    When the heck are people going to learn that Kickstarter is not a store, you are not paying for a product!! You are paying to support a company and if the company is successful you'll get a reward in return.

Reading the final words from the Phoenix guys just makes me think how completely unprepared and incompetent they were when it came to this project. It was only a matter of time before this type of thing happened more and more and I certainly hope that people will now start investigating the people behind these projects instead of being seduced by the promises.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123