Close

extruder gathering up abs

so after a few days of trying to set up my printer i am having major issues now. i have managed to do one successful print but now when the printer is laying down the abs its sticking to the nozzle and gums up around it i think this is a bed leveling issue but as far as i know its leveled i have done it many times and this still seems to happen. so what you do think is going on is the bed too high or too low?
    When leveling the bed it says to adjust it so a piece of paper can slide under the nozzle but how much pressure should i feel in the paper?
    thanks in advance rich

Engineer
    Paper can vary thickness alot. Get yourself a set of feeler gauges. Set the gap to around .005" at least to start.

Engineer-in-Training
    Does this happen on the first few layers or throughout the print?
    If the first then, yes, your bed/nozzle distance is too small, if the latter it probably means you are extruding too much plastic.

yeah it happens on the first few layers i have re set the bed so going to try it again ill let you know what happens thank

Senior Engineer
    All the instructions you get for bed level, temperatures, speeds are all rough "get you printing" instructions. You have to get your own methods and measurements for your printer with experience.

One thing that was helpful for me when I was starting out was to see how it printed on each side of the bed. The nozzle spacing wasn't consistent and some of this will go down nicely and some of it will ball up on the nozzle. But by paying attention to the parts that do work, you can try to get everything like that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

thanks all i think i have it working kinda properly now. i have managed to print a few smallish items with it. In the end i think i was just trying to print too thick per layer i have thinned the layers and seems to be working ok now just need new tape for the bed.
    once again thanks all for your help muchly appreciated