Close

How could Google & Apple make a splash in the 3D Printing Industry?

I keep hearing people say that Apple and Google should take moves within their companies to get into the 3D printing market. My question to you guys is, "HOW?"

What is it that Apple and Google should do?

Would Apple really be smart making their own 3D Printer? Would google perhaps be able to come up with some sort of simplified software for 3D design and scanning? What do you guys think these companies can do, to be part of what some people think is the next big thing like the INTERNET was in the 90's.

Mason

I think Google will follow, unsure exactly how, Apple would be wise if they did. Windows 8.1 and now the new 3D printing app - Which I did not like very much, but will play with it a little more tonight.

Win 8.1 - Native Support
    OSX - I'm guessing NEXT gen will have Native support - Apple are always 1>2yrs behind.
    Google - Unsure how they can follow, maybe Chrome OS??

Google and Microsoft will probably come out with some sort of apps for 3D printing, Google may or may not decide to get into the actual physical market, depends on how big they think the market is. Google has become a very profit oriented company, invading more of our lives than any company before, including AOL, and Microsoft, both of which wanted to own your soul. Apple is close to the same, However they are more of a hardware company, it is possible, but unlikely they will become interested in 3D printing.

I was close to Steve Jobs(actually), he liked BIG things, things that ROCKED the world ! Although 3D printing looks like it is rocking the world, in a practical manner, it is a toy. In engineering it has it's uses, but they do not call for Apple to jump in with a consumer model. When Apple thinks they have something that is actually able to turn peoples heads, and I mean EVERYBODY'S, then they will come out with something. When every China man produces virtually the same thing, and there is nothing truly revolutionary, why would any big company want to put their money up. If Apple is interested, they will pop a product onto the world that IS revolutionary, but I don't see it.