Close

Lightbulb Makeshift acetone vapour chamber?

So I've researching a lot into acetone vapour chambers for smoothing of ABS plastic and I've come up with a rather clever simple idea.

I've seen several experiments utilise the idea of a metal/glass tin or container that can be sealable (for different results) as the chamber for the vapour.

Then, the glass/tin is heated using electronic heating (due to the flammable properties of acetone). Temperature is still a variable undecided on as there is many variations for different effects.
    Acetone has a boiling point of about 57 degrees C. I believe an effective vapour point is anywhere from 80 up.

Acetone is easy to come by, but I've been tossing the idea of contraptions and heating things that are related to as minimal cost as possible.

The idea came to me the other day. To utilise the heating bed platform to utilize convection currents of my HBP to heat an empty, cleaned MILO tin with my model on a platform inside! Maybe to drill a hole on the side at the top to pour the raw acetone in. Theoretically, this should work? But I've had no experience in doing so. My printer is already in a well ventilated area, and I have a heavy duty mask for chemical work already, so safety isn't a problem.

If you have any experience with vapour chambers, please give me your opinion!

I see a lot people using old crock pots. You can pick them up cheap at most garage sales.

Engineer-in-Training
    The hbp might be a fire problem.

Engineer-in-Training
    I've seen it done without using heat, just paper towels lining the inside of the container to saturate the air inside with acetone vapour...

Oh, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvCEnA0NEG4