Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st 3D Printer

Smile 1st 3D Printer

Hi guys,

Been reading up a lot on 3D printers and there a good and bad review for every printer I've looked at, so I'd decided to list some requirements and see which is the closest:-

1. Easy to use, reliable, something that will last a while and obviously, something that is easy to print successfully (I guess I will be starting with PLA)

2. I like auto-bed levelling but I'm not sure if that is just replacing a 5 minute job (with a4 paper and the bed screws/wheels) and not sure how often I'd need to do it

3. I also like the flexible base, as this seems the easiest to remove your print jobs (again, not sure how big of a deal this is and unsure if I really need to apply Glue stick or even hairspray to the printer bed)

4. Size wise 250 x250 would probably be my max size but like others I am just feeling my way around these numbers.

5. Cost - let's say £500 but there's not exact limit and initially my printing volume will be fairly low, as other than for a couple of jobs, I am just buying to play.

Now the nice to have's:-

6. I'd like the ability to print more than one colour (ideally without unloading/reloading)

7. I'd like to be able to perform maintenance / upgrades easily.In terms of models, I have looked at:-

A. The Ender 3 v2.0 - Don't like the add on auto-bed leveller, lack of flexible base and no touch screen

B. The Cubic Vyper - Seems to have most of what I am looking for, off the bat, but have heard the support is poor

C. The Geetech M20 - As this one could print more than one colour

D. The Prusa i3 - The most expensive out of the bunchAny advice appreciated

Thanks in advance

TK :-)
    Last edited by tk007b; 01-04-2022 at 05:59 PM.

Based on what you are describing, I would highly recommend Prusa. If you start with a Prusa MK3S+ (only slightly smaller than your listed spec), it is extremely reliable and repeatable. You can colour change manually and later add the MMU2S or a Mosaic Pallette to do multi colours.

Brilliant - thank you, I will check it out now

:-)

I've had a quick look and it looks great, apart from the price. I don't mind spending the money but I'd rather get a cheaper one to start with to see if I get into 3d printing, rather than just for a specific project I have in mind. The only other option I saw was a clone for half the price on Banggood but not sure if that's worth the trouble or if they are even safe to buy from, although there were lots of positive reviews (providing the reviews are not bogus)

decisions, decisions .. thanks .. I have a real headache now ;-)

If the MMU2S works, that looks amazing. Do you know if the software / firmware upgrade will automatically change colour according to the STL file (if it's a multicoloured design) ?

Thanks, again

Your head will hurt even more if you are not careful, you get what you pay for.. you will hate 3d printing with printer that does not work as is should. It is not plug and play it is a big ass learning curve and when the hardware is crap you have a really bad time with nothing working.. Just keep that in mind as you pick something.. reviews on point of sale sites mean nothing, you need to read independent reviews that are not paid for by the maker of the device, if you can find any.. good luck with your choice..

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    Your head will hurt even more if you are not careful, you get what you pay for..
    Thanks Airscapes,

The biggest problem I have found is that there are good and bad reviews for every 3D printer I look at for example:-
    Ender3 v2 - Reviews good and then I searched on this forum and found bad ones
    AnyCubic Vyper - Hyped to be Ender3 ++ (auto bed levelling, touchscreen) and then I read up on reliability problems
    Geeeeeeeeeeeeetech M20 (promising specs but again mixed reviews)

£700 for a 3D printer is fine if I get into the hobby but at the moment, I just need to print 1.5kg to 2kg of print for a project, hence the reason to spend low and then invest if I find I am using it more and more. Otherwise, it's a load of money for a door stop ;-)

Then there a laser cutter, which I know there are add ons that can attach to a 3D printer but they are really not that powerful, so it's another bulky device in the house. I think what I need is to get some inspiration first, that may help me to decide how far I want to take the plunge. Other than ThingyVerse, are there any good sites to browse STL files?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your advice.

:-)

If you plan on leaning one of the CAD software programs so you can design you own parts for projects and repairs, you will want a quality machine, Prusa won't disappoint. If you want to print dodas that others have designed to collect dust, prusa won't disappoint.. I had no idea what I would use my printer for.. I make all kinds of things for all kinds of projects.. Learning how to design your own parts is key.
    Take a look at this picture of the top of my new Grow Tent.. There are multiple things I designed and printed.
    The hooks holding the lights and wires, the cover over the fan inlet holding the cloth sleep up, the cover over the 4 gang electrical box, the housing around the thermostat installed in the electrical box the ends of the added silver hainging rods which I added. All designed and printed. If you have hobbies and tinker this is what you did not know you needed
    Attached Images Attached Images

some other things for inspiration
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks very much, it's certainly food for thought. Will check the bank balance too!:-)

what every you do, stay away from Creality products.. it is some of the worst junk out there..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast