Close

What do you do with your empty filament spools?

I have begun piling up a bunch of empty spools of filament. I can't get myself to throw them away, but I also can't think of anything useful to do with them. What do most of you guys do when you finish a spool? Just throw them out? Can they be recycled?

It is good to have a couple extra empty spools around. Some of the cheap filament you get on eBay gets twists as it unrolls from the spool. With an extra spool, you can wind it from one to the other and occasionally twist it enough to fix the problem.

Banned
    They do have value if you can find someone who wants them. This person on ebay is trying to get $65 for 13 empty filament spools: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-13-Em...item20e9a021e0

Others are asking similar prices which I find quite high. If I was a manufacturer of filament I would offer to buy them back for a buck or two each. try and find some people who are into producing their own filament via the Filabot or other machine. I'm sure they'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    It is good to have a couple extra empty spools around. Some of the cheap filament you get on eBay gets twists as it unrolls from the spool. With an extra spool, you can wind it from one to the other and occasionally twist it enough to fix the problem.
    we also do this,, we have bought a few spools that have cracked or had bad winding,, we use tape on a drill to attach the new spool and pull the trigger and re-wind from 1 spool to the other in a few mins..

Depending on what they're made of you could attempt to recycle them yourself with an extruder like filabot.

I'm waiting for the Strooder project to deliver, I'll see if I can use it that way.