Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Engineer
    Have you printed with it?

It works fine for 700 bytes on my setup but it seems to have a problem interpreting or capturing the bytes back from the printer firmware, at least for me. For now I have given up trying to get it working right.

Student
    I haven't printed a full file with it yet. I'm actually working on another project (auto-calibration), so all I need it for is simple move commands.

I might try to print a file to see if I can get it to work. What commands are you expecting to have a return sent back from the printer to the PC (I'd recommend the verbose (-v) flag regardless)?

Senior Engineer
    The printer returns hex numbers to inform the state of the print that is in progress. They are all listed in the source for GPX

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so, can you run slic3r or cura directly to the printer from linux ? Given that they won't communicate in windows.

Ubuntu will easily dual boot with windows. so that's not a problem.

Might this be an easier route to breaking free of makerware than the whole slic3r/gcode/gpx/x3g route ?
    You got me thinking now :-)

Damn, might have to switch my 64gb ssd for a 128.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    so, can you run slic3r or cura directly to the printer from linux ? Given that they won't communicate in windows.

Ubuntu will easily dual boot with windows. so that's not a problem.

Might this be an easier route to breaking free of makerware than the whole slic3r/gcode/gpx/x3g route ?
    You got me thinking now :-)

Damn, might have to switch my 64gb ssd for a 128.
    No you can't unless you change the electronics in the printer.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

You'll need to make sure whatever your printer is receiving is in X3G, so unfortunately you probably cant take output directly from Slic3r/Cura.

I know the guys developing MatterControl are looking at adding X3G support in the future, (and it can use Slic3r/Cura) so the dream may become a reality in the future.

Student
    Just an update if anyone reads this thread in the future and wants to connect to their FF.

My board is a Flashforge Creator REV C mightyboard (ATMEGA1280), and although the link that Geoff posted suggested 57600 baud rate, it works with the default 115200 through GPX.

$ sudo gpx -s -b 115200 -v move.gcode /dev/ttyACM0

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    So I managed to get this to work; all I had to do was install Linux (Ubuntu)...

In case anyone else needs the same functionality, here are the basic steps I went through:
    - Install Linux OS (Ubuntu, for e.g.). On a separate note, you can run it off a Live-USB with persistance, which is pretty cool.
    - Ensure you can communicate with serial ports. I uninstalled brltty, installed ReplicatorG and Arduino and tested serial comms to ensure it worked with a known-working program.
    - Download the latest GPX source (At least 2.0 which support serial communications via the -s flag). 'Install' via make install.
    - The commands I ran to test it was working where:
    $ echo G1 X10 > move.gcode
    $ sudo gpx -s -v move.gcode /dev/ttyACM0

Some points about the serial port:
    - You can check which serial port your printer is on with $ dmesg | tail tty
    - You'll need to run commands as root (with sudo), or add yourself to the group (dialout) for the tty file. Check it with $ ls -l /dev/tty*

Now to see if I can write a Python program to automate this, and talk with some other sensors simultaneously!
    Thank you very much for the information!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12