Close

3D Printable Wind Turbine Generates 300W of Power

This is quite an innovative project and use of 3D printing. A company called Omni3D is seeking funding on Kickstarter in order to produce their AirEnergy3D, 3D printable wind turbines. For every purchased turbine they will donate another turbine to Africa. The turbines can generate up to 300 watts of power, which isn't a ton but enough to power multiple smartphone chargings and a couple of lights. More details on this incredible project can be found here: http://3dprint.com/11819/airenergy3d-omni3d-wind-print/

Below is a picture of the Wind Turbine:

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Awesome, I love when people use 3D printing to make something completely new like that, I mean, it looks more like a DNA strand than a wind turbine, I love it.

Senior Engineer
    Guesstimating numbers:

Estimating the turbine to be one metre tall and 0.5 metres diameter from the picture, being generous.

Swept volume = 3.1 sq metres
    Typical wind speed UK = 5 m/s << that is also generous
    Power in that amount of wind = 241 watts theoretical maximum

OMG they are using magic or maybe it's another pie in the sky Kickstarter.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    OMG they are using magic or maybe it's another pie in the sky Kickstarter.
    When they say "up to" a certain amount of power, assumptions of typical wind speeds were probably not made. If the thing can take up to 15 m/s or even 20 m/s wind speeds without breaking apart, then that's what it can go "up to"... (and such wind speeds are common in stormy weather)

I would call it false advertising, except that every wind turbine maker ever uses the same kind of faulty logic for selling their product, so it's at least useful for comparing to other similar machines.

Senior Engineer
    Aha, obviously have experience in Internet provision or dandruff shampoo, "up to" 20 meg I have and "up to" 100% flake free hair..

Staff Engineer
    It's a sales tactic that works up to 100% of the time.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    OH cmon all you technical people, can't we just admire it for being a pretty blue DNA strand?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    OH cmon all you technical people, can't we just admire it for being a pretty blue DNA strand?
    I don't know what your DNA looks like... But mine has two strands. If your DNA has 3 strands, that helps explain things!!!!