Close

Best layer height for strong print on simple component - Resin printer

Hi Al

lI am relatively new to resin 3D printing, having had a Lulzbot Mini for a while before that. However the quality of the prints with the resin printers attracted me so I took the plunge a while back with an Anycubic Photon X. I've been able to make some really nice parts with great detail, but my latest project is somewhat different.I'm a sim racer, and have designed a sequential gear shift mechanism that relies on a pawl and sprag wheel mechanism.

Now I know that in the fullness of time some of the parts will have to be made from machined aluminium or PTFE, but initially at least I want to prototype with the resin printer. The assembly also requires some large printed housings, which are a relatively modest 20mm or so thick, but will cover a relatively large percentage of the Mono X's build plate.

The parts themselves are not significantly 'detailed', I am actually designing as many as I can to be eventually milled out once I've finished my CNC conversion on my X2 mill. The designs are sort of 2 1/2 D as a result. However what I do need is reasonable strength from the parts. So for a resin like Elegoo's ABS-like resin, what is the best layer height to ensure a nice solid print? The part dimension steps are 0.25mm minimum, so in therory I could print at 0.25mm layer height, but worry that the curing of the resin would not be as complete as it could be. Surface finish is not a big consideration, and there would be no need for any supports due to the geometry of the parts. I will print directly from the build plate so that the build plate face leaves a nice flat mating surface, although I know I will have to clean up the elephant foot effect afterwards.

So any tips for this type of work? Any info gratefully received

Cheers

Les
    Last edited by lesthegringo; 10-30-2021 at 12:19 AM. Reason: weird formatting