Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist

Failed print with one roll and not another

Hmmmm Seems like the overture brand fails on larger area prints. Clean bed, nozzle temp, bed temp, speed had no effect on print quality. I was begining to think to the file was corupted , so I reDL'd original file again and again. Yet the O'ture orange filiment has no problems printing temp towers and retract towers. always fails when it tries to stick in itself? The grey BB8 is Pol..roid brand and the printed 99% perfect FIRST TIME. The last orange BB8 was printed right after grey with SAME SETTINGS and failed. The orange prints was from a brand new unopened roll PLA. The grey filament is stored on a shelf out of package in 44% humidity. Any ideas?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    different colours and brands of pla will behave very differently.

Clearly your orange pla is shrinking more than the grey.
    So either pop some print glue on the bed, or slow the first layer down or adjust the z-axis offset to give a little more smoosh.
    Or all three :-)

Also add another 5c to both the print temp and bed temp.

Technologist
    I use the purple stick glue all the time. After each print I apply more stick glue to the area previous print was. repeat. The after 3-4 prints, and it starts to get harder removing prints from the bed, I clean it. The first tru 3rd layers go down really nice. This particular print is only 40 layers high. And they all failed on upper layers. I have also added brim support from 5-10 lines. I've printed small domes, pla temp tower and the retract tower. those three are perfect

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    okay so this is where the amount of detail you give us is important :-)

How big is the print ?

Also pictures of the failure and succesful print would also be useful.

There's obnly so much help that can be given by guesswork :-)

Technologist
    The print is 80mm X 110mm I have 3 rolls of overture filament. One PTEG, and 2 PLA. And they have been the MOST problematic brand I ever had experience with. The one shown was from a brand new unopen roll. This was FIRST thing I printed with this roll not 2 mins after opening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technologist
    Heres the file https://www.instructables.com/BB-8-D...m_medium=emailThe last couple of prints I did I increased the height to 125% to make the raised portions more pronounced

Technologist
    One thing Im trying right now at 6:36pm est Re downloaded fron instructable site, used Prusa Slicer instead of my go to Cura. Keep fingers crossed Will let know in 3 1/2 hours.

Hmm just checked prusa slicer and it says 1 hour 45 mins everytime with cura=3 hours 30 mins maybe my time to change my "go to" slicer

Technologist
    It stared printing. What I notice these lil "ticks" that stick up every print since started with either oture brand or the ender extender wich made the Y extruded I think 480mm long. I still only have the one Z stepper motor. Dont know if arm slop causing but this is on same line number. Theres no play on the bed that I can feel. Still up in air with linear rails

Technologist
    Update: Finished last night, dont know the exact time as wasnt with printer. The new roll of overture white yielded a print as shown. It seems to print great half way thru then you can see where upper layers "slip". slip by 15 mm That SAME ROLL OF FILAMENT printed a temp and retract tower perfect go figure I'm ticked

Technologist
    just to prove its not the printer, unless you say other, I sent a picture of SAME PRINT SUBJECT DONE WITH POLEROID PLA GREY FILAMENT SAME SETTINGS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast