Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

E5P 2 Z axis different number of steps per motor

Hi.Please have a BIGTREETECH OCTOPUS V1.1 board for E5P and I connected each motor on the Z axis to 1 controller. In the Configuration_adv.h file, I set #define NUM_Z_STEPPER_DRIVERS 2 // (1-4) Z options change based on how many. Both stepper motors do not run in parallel, one rotates more slowly, I do not know where to set them to have the same number of steps.Thank you in advance for your help.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Hello. So in Marlin under configuration.h you will find the steps/mm movement setting and add to it for the second Z if you need to have separate numbers.

However, if you have the same parts on both sides of Z and one spins faster than the other I would be looking at the stepper drivers and their configuration. Are they both running in UART? if in standalone mode do both have the same jumpers in the same places under the drivers? And are they at the forward current setting?

Also are they the same drivers? And all drivers having the TMC2208 logo does not mean they are all the same drivers. The same 2208 driver can be configured for UART or for standalone operation by way of soldering pads on the underside of the driver. So it is plausible to have visually identical stepper drivers that will not perform the same.

But the big takeaway from this for you should be that if the Z stepper motors are the same, that is if they are both 1.8 degree OR they are both 0.9 degree stepper motors, and if the leadscrews or pulley sizes are the same on both sides then you shouldn't have to program different steps/mm for each stepper. They should both have the same step count.

Banned
    I have the TMC2226 drivers set to UART, both motors are the same and the screws. This is how it is set #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 800, 500} should I do it like this? #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 800, 800, 500}. I'm just learning everything, I also have to learn the URAT settings.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So if you do not command anything in that reigon then the second Z will follow the same steps as Z which should be what you want. You should leave your steps just the way they are.

I have created a thread with a walkthrough on setting up dual Z right here: Dual Z Auto Align Setup In Marlin (3dprintboard.com)

Banned
    So far, it's a bit difficult for me in the beginning. I don't know what it means to set the probe points and tell Marlin the orientation of stepper Z

#define Z_STEPPER_ALIGN_XY {{10, 190}, {100, 10}, {190, 190}}

How do I set these numbers?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    These are the probe points. Because you are only going to probe in 2 points you will simply delete the {190,190} so you are only probing 2 points.

Then the 2 sets of numbers within the 2 remaining probe points are X and Y coordinates.

Assuming that your printer raises and lowers the X axis like everybody else the first number in both sets should be low and high at the edges of the bed but on the bed.

The second number should be set to half of Y's dimension this way you are probing the 2 sides of the center of the bed.

So like if you had an i3 with a 200x200 bed your numbers to probe might be {{10,100}, {190,100}} .

This will keep the bed fixed at half of Y and probe both sides of X or at each Z stepper motor.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    As far as stepper orientation goes you should uncomment it and set it to 0 and make sure that Z is the stepper motor on the left and Z2 is the stepper motor on the right. If in the wrong spot this correction can happen by either swapping plugs on the mainboard or even just by going into that pins file and swapping Z with Z2 under the steppers pins.

Banned
    I still can't set it, I have an E5P and the printable area is 350x350. I set it up like this, and he's reporting a bug.chyba.jpgchybovasprava.jpg

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Your probing positions are wrong? You do not want the bed to move in this process. You only have resolution to make a correction on one axis so that is all we should be moving. The bed, that is the second number should stay at 175. Half of 350. So you probe back and forth on the middle of the bed. If your bed is 350 x 350 your probe positions should be something like {{25,175}, {325,175}}. This will probe both sides of your X axis at the middle of the bed. Like in my video. Here watch my short video of how this routine runs: IDEX Dual Z Auto Align - YouTube

The error you are getting is because the probe can not reach the edges of the bed commanded by your probe positions. You need to look at your entered Z probe offsets in configuration.h and take that into account. For example if your Z probe has an offset on X of +25mm then you will obviously not be able to probe anything on X below 25mm and so your first probe position might want to be 30,175 and then 325,175 for the second.

Alternatively, if your Z probe offset were a negative number then you wouldn't be able to probe that amount on the far side of X.

So go look at your Z probe offsets and adjust your probing positions accordingly holding Y at mid travel the whole time or at least until you get a third or fourth stepper motor to gain resolution to make a correction on that axis.

Banned
    Yes, I have the probe set up like this:

#define NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET {-52.0, -38.0, -1.00}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast