Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Another" Which printer should I buy. Some research done. Need advice $3k price range

OK for the last year I have been looking for a 3d printer, at least on and off that is. I would do a little research here and there. What I found is I am still confused on which is a safe company to do business with. I will be making everything from a lego block to interior parts for cars.

Here is what I am looking for
    Plug and play. Not looking to build my own. I have built a CNC mill (well retro fitted and X3) and dont want to that it again!
    Dual filament (if possible or more, but not opposed to having just 1 if it means it is better than the rest)
    ABS and PLA compatible
    Fast machine
    Biggest work surface that I can get
    Ease of use, great software or programs that can be used with it.
    USB, Wifi and all the other bells and whistles like LCD screen, maybe a camera and???
    I have read stuff about heated platforms, glass platforms etc etc.

I have up to $3000 to spend on this and I have looked at makerbot, cubify and a couple of others. I have tried to read through reviews and for some reason I keep coming back to the makerbot 2X. But I am not sure if this is just a brand name thing that keeps bringing me back. What other systems am I missing and more importantly for my price range what would you guys buy that is turn key and ready to go? What do you feel is the best in class machine for that price? regardless of my needs and why?

Thanks in advance and I am sorry for yet another which machine should I buy post!

I guess I need to make sure I add in print quality as being high on the list as well. I have looked at a few others like the orion delta from seemecnc (I saw their crowdsource a while back). The type A machines as well. Read up on 3ders.org site and thier list but it is a fair amount of money to drop without some discussion first. I guess a metal filament would be a dream but I dont think I have come across one in my price.

Lastly Make magazine has the makerbot rated pretty high
    http://makezine.com/magazine/guide-t...-they-compare/

that is why I have it on my list but again would like to see what feedback and other advice I am flat out missing along with other machines.....
    Last edited by kos; 08-10-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by kos View Post
    I guess I need to make sure I add in print quality as being high on the list as well. I have looked at a few others like the orion delta from seemecnc (I saw their crowdsource a while back). The type A machines as well. Read up on 3ders.org site and thier list but it is a fair amount of money to drop without some discussion first. I guess a metal filament would be a dream but I dont think I have come across one in my price.

Lastly Make magazine has the makerbot rated pretty high
    http://makezine.com/magazine/guide-t...-they-compare/

that is why I have it on my list but again would like to see what feedback and other advice I am flat out missing along with other machines.....

If you are after print quality, the makerbot has nothing special that would suggest it's price tag.

If I had your budget, and after seeing the quality of prints in all filament types, I'd buy an Ultimaker.

Engineer-in-Training
    I've read that a F306 is the largest coreXY machine available, which should make for very solid repeatable prints.

I read in forums that the maker bot is not the best but it seemed to ranked high by make magazine in their shootout test. Trust me I am not on the maker bot band wagon by any means. just curious why it ranks so well year after year but most look at other machines? I see the ultimater came in runner up so obviously it is a solid machine too.

I guess the new shootout won't be released until oct. Does anyone think there may be a new standout in the market?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    kos, contact me if you'd like a demo of the Hyrel printers via skype and teamviewer. You can get an Engine with two heads shipped most places for under $3k.

Davo I tried to access your site but I couldn't get it load right.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by kos View Post
    I read in forums that the maker bot is not the best but it seemed to ranked high by make magazine in their shootout test.
    Often magazines will favor companies based on how much free stuff they get to trial, how often and how fast they can get it before anyone else - and if Makerbot is coming to the party, then you write them up.

Also aesthetically, the makerbot looks the best. Sure, it might not print the best but for some people, the look is all they need to be sold on it, much like cars.

Engineer-in-Training
    This is where most printer makers need to improve: take many many good photos, and even iphone vids, of the product so the customer can spend hours looking at it. The more time someone spends looking at it, the better it will look to them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    I've read that a F306 is the largest coreXY machine available, which should make for very solid repeatable prints.
    Any idea on the cost of this one? I haven't seen it before but you have to get a quote for the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast