Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    Not only do you have a choice of infill, but I believe it even lets you pick the initial and subsequent layer orientation
    Change the infill orientation?

infill will let me bridge a pretty decent gap
    How does the infill help?

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    Ok i have to ask an slighly diferent question, whats the Best infill for prostetics pieces?

Ok according to curios aadvark a 15% infill Will have a lot resistance! but if you aré printing a finger or something that small it wont be better 100% im kind a lost on that one.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    I use 35% rectilinear at 45 degrees for pretty much anything in plastics; 90-100% concentric for clays and rubber.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Change the infill orientation?
    yep - the angle the infill is changed for each layer, or for a certain amount of layers.

Quote Originally Posted by bshadown View Post
    Ok i have to ask an slighly diferent question, whats the Best infill for prostetics pieces?

Ok according to curios aadvark a 15% infill Will have a lot resistance! but if you aré printing a finger or something that small it wont be better 100% im kind a lost on that one.
    It gives the filament something to bridge across.
    So for example I designed a plug for the base of a birdfeeder. printed hollow the second layer had nothing to support the filament. with 5% infill there was other filament to help it bridge the top of the cylinder.

For prosthetics. I would probably use an extra shell and again 15% infill would be fine. Less infill = less weight. not necessarily less strength.
    Strength wise abs is tough, to crush a finger made from abs with 3 shells and 15% infill you'd need pliers or to jump up and down on it.
    There are damn few human beings who could crush it without mechanical help.

100% infill would actually be worse - heavier and not as durable. If dropped it would shatter - a semi hollow one would not. Shockwaves propagate through solids very rapidly. They don't propagate through mesh anywhere near as easily.

Print both and hit both with a hammer. The solid one will most likely shatter - the 15% infill will dent, it won't shatter.

@davo - what are you printing clay and rubber with ?

Quote Originally Posted by bshadown View Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12