Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Strange issue on outside one one side and only vertically

Never seen this before. Using PLA. I have been experimenting some lately w/ increasing the speed and layer height. Also using a different filament. I recently went from my normal .22mm to .28 and also from 50mm/s for print speed, 45mm/sec for outside perimeter and 50mm/sec for infill to 60/60/100 mm/sec. I cannot see it being perimeter speed given the rest of it is perfect. Given it's only in one spot makes me feel something is weird w/ the printer all the sudden just when the printhead is right at that location, not so much print speed/filament Is there a name for this imperfection so perhaps I can do a bit more research on my own also?

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    So as an update I print3ed another similar box w/ the same settings I've been using for 5+ years problem free and the same issue happened. Oddly (as you'll see in the attached pic) there was about 1" of vertical print that was perfect? It only happens on one side in this one area. Anyone have any input? I also had printed something about the same circumference as this in a different filament the day before and it was fine. Granted it was only a 2mm shell but same circumference which may be the issue here. I just printed a small 20mm calibration cube to see if it would do it there and it did not. I feel it may be a retraction issue at larger distances and it didn't do it w/ the 2mm shell print because it just kept going around and wasn't having to retract and travel a great distance. Not sure though, I'd have to go through the G code to see how it starts next layer. Even if that was it though, why would i have a good 20 or so layers w/ NO defect as shown in pic?
    Last edited by TTVert; 09-19-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    going on the slow speeds - are you using an ender 3 by any chance ?

As far as I can tell from the extremely confusing 'which way up' explanation - your bed is possibly not level.

And the new filament could be causing excess friction in the bowden tube.

So can you tell us what the printer is and which direction the printer is actually building.

Any decent printer should be able to run at 0.3 layer at 50mm/s.

Technician
    Thanks for the reply. Nope, a maker select v2. She's been a reliable workhorse for a long time. My bed is perfectly level and as you can see the issue goes away for a good inch at one point and then comes back. if it was a friction issue why would the issue be so consistent to only that face and nowhere else? From what I can feel the filament has no friction issues as I have a teflon tube and guide below the reel (Which sits on ball bearings) that keeps everything nice and free. And then go away for about 20 layers and then come back? I've never had issues like this at any layer height/speed I only mentioned this because it was a change I had made recently for testing but switched back to the speed it always worked best at and the issue persisted. As far as the imperfection location, if you look at the imperfect side that would the right side of the print when looking at the printer.

Engineer-in-Training
    Could the filament be jamming when the bowden tube is bent at one extreme of the x travel of the extruder head ?

Technician
    I have a ball design in my filament feed that shouldn't allow any binding at all. I did go out there and check but I see no binding. With that said I'd think the higher up it'd print the more binding there would be if there was any. But there are a good 20+ layers up top where it's flawless before getting bad again.Dave
    Last edited by TTVert; 09-20-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Ah right - makerselect.
    Okay so proper prusa design i3.
    Nice machines.

It's a Direct drive gambo.
    So not a tube issue.

Have you checked the grubscrews on the extruder drive gear ?

I still can't visualise the object. But normal bit in the middle is weird no matter the orientation.

Are we looking at the base ?
    Or a vertical wall ?

Technician
    The imperfection is on the right vertical wall. I did change the orientation for the second block to see if it would change anything (Printed the long end facing up instead of flat) and it didn't make much of a difference aside from that one little perfect area about 3/4 way up. Not to say that may not have happened on the other print at some point also though.

I'll check all set screws but given the fact it only happens on one face makes me feel it's not a loose set screw as it wouldn't be so consistent to only one face. I also ensured the slide rods were clean.

Dave

can you upload the stl ?
    And what slicer are you using ?

It could simply be either a flaw in the actul model or in the slicing.
    Also have you either tried a new sd card or done a full format on the existing one ?

It's looking more and more like an issue with the model itself.

Which could be the actual original stl, the card or the slicer.

Also check all the wiring. It's unlikely a looses or broken wire would be that precise to produce that perfect section. But it never hurts to check.

But if you upload the stl I can have a look and run it through simplify3d and see if anything obvious happens.

Technician
    It's two separate stl files that did this. Both were larger boxes.. I don't use the SD card, i use repetier server/host which sends data directly. I use the repetier host embedded cura slicer. Not to say it's not the slicer but i've never had any issue like this before w/ this slice. Here is one of the STSs, it's literally a box. I will double check the wiring as it can't hurt but if it was that it'd be pretty impressive that it occurred on onlly one side.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast