Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Tried it in Ideamaker, preview after slicing won't work, it just keeps trying to preview it in a loop, tried it in BCN3d slicer and it sliced but nothing obvious in the preview

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try printing off the sdcard.
    It's the besy way for any print over about 10 minutes anyway.

What operating system are you using ?

(looks at file)
    that's a solid cube with a few holes in it.
    Not a box.
    Is it supposed to be solid ?

If you print it with 0% infill, the tube bts won't print without supports.

That's one weird thing :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-21-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Technician
    Win 10 but the server is running on a PI. I've never had an issue before and it buffers and checks all data so I cannot see that being the issue. I've printed quite few large items and never had this. i cannot see it being a data or buffer issue given it happens on the exact same side every time. The defect is nearly identical layer to layer also. Yes it's solid. It's one of 4 quadrants of a dead pedal I made for my RV. I use 20% infill and use supports usually. This one I did not but no issues w/ any of the holes. I didn't care as they were getting drilled/tapped anyway.Dave

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well if you already know what it's not - why ask ?

Have you tried printing the file a lot smaller ? say 25%
    That way you should be able to rule out the file and usb connection.

Also we know you haven't had this problem before.
    So saying 'it can't be that, i've never had this problem before' - without testing it doesn't help any of us.

Trouble shooting is a tedious process that involves ruling things out one at a time.
    It's entire;y up to you whether you do it or not.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well if you already know what it's not - why ask ?

Have you tried printing the file a lot smaller ? say 25%
    That way you should be able to rule out the file and usb connection.

Also we know you haven't had this problem before.
    So saying 'it can't be that, i've never had this problem before' - without testing it doesn't help any of us.

Trouble shooting is a tedious process that involves ruling things out one at a time.
    It's entire;y up to you whether you do it or not.
    You make a very valid point. I guess the issue with making these changes and reprinting is that the print was a 17 hour print so it's not really feasible to make a change and reprint this particular job. Given the issue was starting at layer one what I will try it to print only about 20 layers of the existing job but at 1/2 scale. That'll be a 25 min. print that hopefully tells me something. If it doesn't do it at that size then i'll go up in scale to see at what scale I do end up getting the defect. I know when I printed that calibration square as a test the other day it came out perfect, although that was a fraction of the size. I guess my question would be, if I reduce the print size does that really tell us much? If it goes away by reducing size that couldn't that just be due to less distance the nozzle has to travel and therefore perhaps less time for retraction if it's in fact an excessive retraction issue?

Apologies if I ticked anyone off.

Dave
    Last edited by TTVert; 09-21-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Technician
    So i did check tightness of all drive components, belt, etc. and all was well. I did clean the rods just for the sake of it. I reprinted the bottom 25mm at 50% scale and at 100% scale and it did it again but not nearly as bad as the last time. I have a closeup of the problem side. Both images are the same side, one is the front half of the right side of cube and the second is the second half. The second half is perfect as you can see. Maybe this closeup will give someone a bit more to go on? I'm going to try to use the SD card to print another one a bit later and see what I get per suggestion. Does this close up give you guys any more info by chance?ThanksDave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TTVert; 09-21-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Technician
    Any other thoughts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12