Close

Post Polycarbonate Printing to Tolerances

Hi all, I'm looking to the community for input on printing polycarbonate, specifically PolyMaker's PolyMax PC. Each print came out beautifully, however there seems to be an issue with the material not printing to the tolerance, it seems to be about a 1mm to thick in all directions or a 0.5mm expansion from diameter of the core of the filament (i.e it's too damn big). I have attempted to do several print settings/configurations in Cura and I still get a print that does not meet the CAD specifications within the 0.3mm to 0.05mm range. This however is not the case when printing ABS, which with the right settings seems to hit the specifications and tolerances on each print. The filament is dry and the slicer (Cura) settings have ranged from the manufacturer's specs to those provided by others that have had success printing with other PC filaments. I have changed temperature ranging from 255C to 270C, changed layer height from 0.3mm to 0.05mm, etc. Nothing seems to help. My question is, is there a specific configuration or temperature at which Polycarbonate will contract to maintain tolerance within the range of 0.3 to 0.05mm? Many thanks in advance.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    hmm, it's not the polycarbonate but one of your slicer settings that's at fault.

I haven't done much with pc - but the bits i did print (and yes it's polymakers) were dimensionally accurate.

So, somehow you've changed the extrusion settings. Either the pc profile is set to use 3mm filament (cura's default) or the extrusion multiplier is way over 100%

Although if the filament diameter were set to 3mm and you were using 1,75, it would have the oppositre effect - so forget that.

What printer are you using ?