Close

Student

Does color really matter???

I am using Aquila, Cura, Jayo Filiment (White vs Black) ... Nozzle set at 200, Bed at 60 in all cases .... printing same flat item ... White Filament sticks most of the time while Black Filament releases after 10 or so layers. This has happened repeatedly on a few different pieces. any Suggestions on how to get the Black to stick or how to adjust to use Black would be appreciated.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what bed covering do you have ?

And yes different colours of pla can behave quaite differently.

What print speeds are you using ?
    first layer adhesion depends on a number of things.

1) the gap between the nozzle and the printbed
    2) the speed of the first layer
    3) the print surface itself.
    4) printing temp.

For me 60c is not enough for pla - these days I always use 65c.
    60 is too cool, 70 is too hot - 65 is just right.

What brand of pla are you using ? that also makes as much difference as the colour.

If manufascturers were forced to release the actual ingredients of their filaments - we could turn this into a science.
    As they currently don;t have to tell you diddly squat, it's currently more of an art than a science.

Experience with your own machine and pla counts more than anytyhing some numpty on youtube tells you :-)

Student
    Thank you for your comments, they are taken to heart.

Pigments

Different colors require different amounts of pigments. I've always imagined that the properties of different colors could not always be the same. I just purchased a CR-10 V3 and have yet to set it up. To start with I have purchased rolls of black, white and red PLA from Overture and 1 roll of black TPU to test things out once I'm ready to start printing. I am probably going to need to try a different brand in the same colors just to see the difference. That will be after another month or so of reading the forums to learn as much as I can. I have seen some value packs of mixed colors of .5kg rolls. That might be my next step.