Close

TAZ Workhorse, Layer Lines When Printing Adjacent Feature

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. I'm trying to print some generally columnar parts with inset lettering in PLA, but am seeing layer lines throughout the part that corresponds with the layers at which the lettering begins. I've tried researching this, but haven't been able to find anything that solves the issue. Mostly, the misaligned layer issues I've been reading about are a problem with the whole part, not directly related to another feature being printed. I've recalibrated my e-steps, re-tuned the heating PID parameters, played with retraction distances, slowed the print down, printed at smaller layer heights, ensured that the X and Y axes are free of play, played with Z-hop... and I still can seem to eliminate this. Has anyone else had this issue and solved it effectively? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, I know I can get ringing around the letters themselves, but layer shifts like that would seem a bit extreme.

Is the text embedded (sunken into the part) or protuding (sticking out from the part) ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Hmm, I know I can get ringing around the letters themselves, but layer shifts like that would seem a bit extreme. Is the text embedded (sunken into the part) or protuding (sticking out from the part) ?
    In the case of the part image I attached, the text is embedded. Although, I see the same artifacts on parts printed with the text protruding.

Update: Still no solution. Disassembled the extruder from its mount, found a few loose screws both from the mount to the extruder as well as teh linear bearings on the X-axis. Thought this was going to be the smoking gun. Same issue, unfortunately. I went through and retuned everything (again) and decided to print something everyone's more familiar with. See the attached pictures for what a Benchy turns out like.

Still need any feedback anyone might have here. Thanks!

Benchy1.jpgBenchy2.jpg